Open toed shoes on Breakaway

JackieLudlow

Men are supposed to wear closed-toed shoes in the more formal MDR and Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain. Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

I just got back two days ago from the Breakaway and I wore open toed shoes every night. We dined in The Manhattan Room MDR, Le Bistro and Cagney's and no problem! Most nights I wore my Fit Flops...they're very comfortable but also look nice. One pair is navy blue with sequins and the other is a silver metallic pair. They're not shoes I would wear to the beach or pool, much nicer. No one ever questioned me or looked at me funny!

Also if you prefer to wear shorts to dinner, you can do so in the other two MDRs Taste and Savor. They have the same menu as Manhattan Room every night!