Driving from Boston to Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal

geomancer

Just in the planning stages. I live up near Boston, but not a whole lot goes out of that port so I've looked at Cape Liberty in New Jersey as an alternative since it's ~4-5 hour drive (so says Google).

The elephant in the room though is New York City standing in the way which can be a nightmare to drive through. What's the best way to get through this place coming from the North? Google gives I-95 through the Bronx and crossing at the GWB but I hear that's just plain awful and to instead take the Tappan Zee Bridge?

Ideally we'd arrive at the Cruise Terminal in the 11-noon range for time, so leaving the house around 7 AM ish. Means hitting rush hour somewhere along the line.

At least I already have an EZ-Pass...

Just in the planning stages. I live up near Boston, but not a whole lot goes out of that port so I've looked at Cape Liberty in New Jersey as an alternative since it's ~4-5 hour drive (so says Google).

The elephant in the room though is New York City standing in the way which can be a nightmare to drive through. What's the best way to get through this place coming from the North? Google gives I-95 through the Bronx and crossing at the GWB but I hear that's just plain awful and to instead take the Tappan Zee Bridge?

Ideally we'd arrive at the Cruise Terminal in the 11-noon range for time, so leaving the house around 7 AM ish. Means hitting rush hour somewhere along the line.

At least I already have an EZ-Pass...

I've done this trip many times. Could you provide more details? Where exactly from around Boston are you leaving from? What is the exact date of your cruise?

There are many strategies. For Cape Liberty I always recommend getting down to somewhere in the NY metro area the night before. If you provide the requested details, I will give you specific suggestions. The problem with Cape Liberty is that if you miss the ship, the next port may be 2-3 days away.

I'm up near Lowell, so far enough out to avoid Boston traffic, although 495 has gotten just plain awful the last 2 years.

Don't have any specific dates, I'm just keeping my eye out in case something cheaper than normal pops up on a whim. I do have an 8 year old though, so limited to July/August or school break weeks which limits the bargain hunting.

My goal with this question is more of is this a good idea or if it's more hassle than it's worth?

I did get a chuckle out of the New England cruise that stops in Boston, could swing by the house ;)

I'm up near Lowell, so far enough out to avoid Boston traffic, although 495 has gotten just plain awful the last 2 years.

Don't have any specific dates, I'm just keeping my eye out in case something cheaper than normal pops up on a whim. I do have an 8 year old though, so limited to July/August or school break weeks which limits the bargain hunting.

My goal with this question is more of is this a good idea or if it's more hassle than it's worth?

I did get a chuckle out of the New England cruise that stops in Boston, could swing by the house ;)

I live in the same area as you. For a same day trip I would be leaving at 6 am and making a pit stop at Reins Delicatessen at exit 65 on I84. This will get you on the tail end of the rush hour in Hartford. I can provide the directions for the cars only route through NYC which basically involves taking the Merritt Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway, Cross County Parkway, the Saw Mill River Parkway and the Henry Hudson Parkway to the GW Bridge.

However, my preference is to always go most of the way or all the way down the day before. The La Quinta in Stamford is a good basic place to overnight, but that does involve a slightly different route involving I95.

Other factors are the days of the week you're doing this as well as the cost of parking versus doing a Park/sleep cruise at Newark airport. Time of the year (winter??) is also important because of the possibility of snow events.