Enough time to change planes????

rjack22

I am flying from Toledo to Cincinnati then Cincinnati to Palm Beach for my February cruise.

Originally I had a 55 minute layover. Shorter than I would like, but I felt it was do-able provided my first flight was on time.

But I have now received a schedule change. Now I only have 40 minutes on the ground in CVG!! Not a lot of wiggle room there. I do not know if I have to change terminals or not at this point. Hopefully not.

Have any of you been through Cincinnati with this short of a layover? Any advice? Changing to a later flight would most likely cost me $50.

If I miss the connection I would hope that Delta would put me on the next flight to PBI and hope a seat is available.

Since it was Delta who changed your schedules, you are entitled to book on another flight with no penalty.

They may ham & haw and say that the connection is legal & all of that, but stand your ground, say you purchased your original flight under specific guidelines that you were comfortable with, and that you are no longer comfortable with the schedule as it currently stands.

With that you should be able to either: 1.) book an earlier flight into CVG or 2.) book a later connecting flight. You may also want to consider seeing if Delta offers non-stops from Toledo-ATL (I looked and there is a 7:00AM and 4:20PM daily flights) as an alternative. In any cases, this should not cost you any money since it was Delta who prompted all of this by moving their schedules around. I would also ask for some bonus miles (or for a complimentary upgrade) for the inconvenience that Delta caused by making you revisit a flight schedule that you thought was finalized.

If this turns up no suitable flights, ask them to look on both Continental and Northwest as they are alliance partners in the SkyTeam alliance and they share flights.

This happens all the time. Unfortunately it's up to us to take the airlines to task for their schedule shuffling.

jeff

I am flying from Toledo to Cincinnati then Cincinnati to Palm Beach for my February cruise.

Originally I had a 55 minute layover. Shorter than I would like, but I felt it was do-able provided my first flight was on time.

But I have now received a schedule change. Now I only have 40 minutes on the ground in CVG!! Not a lot of wiggle room there. I do not know if I have to change terminals or not at this point. Hopefully not.

Have any of you been through Cincinnati with this short of a layover? Any advice? Changing to a later flight would most likely cost me $50.

If I miss the connection I would hope that Delta would put me on the next flight to PBI and hope a seat is available.

Assuming the first flight lands on time, you should be fine. Cincinnati is much smaller than Atlanta(Delta's other hub.) I would pick a seat towards the front of the plane so you can get off before everyone else in case it is running a few minutes late.

If you are flying from Toledo on a CRJ or similar aircraft and are flying onto Palm Beach in a large jet you will have to transfer terminals in a bus and then hoof it to your gate.

If the weather is perfect it is doable. But February is not a great time to chance it. The last time I flew through there in February we were late and 40 minutes would not have been enough time.

Please call Delta and express your unease.

Good luck.

How about your luggage.............you are not leaving much time for your bags to make it to your second flight.........you may make it and your bags may not.

Thanks for all the advise. I may regret it, but I am going to stick with what I have and risk it. I am flying in two days early though.

I can find two other connections that would work, but they go through Atlanta rather than Cincinnati. One has 1:37 and the other 1:54 layovers. But I prefer to go through Cincinnati. And the planes are smaller on the CVG route. I don't generally like the mega planes except for longer flights.

Just a little background....on my last flight to FLL in April 05 we were delayed leaving Toledo because of thunderstorms in Atlanta! I avoid Atlanta like the plauge. (grin). So Atlanta can have weather too even in April. It is just a crap shoot as to the weather.

I just hope I made the right decision. If I had changed I would always have wondered if I could have made it. I am gambling on if I don't make it that I can get on the next flight. That would be acceptable too.

Archived