PG-Feb. 15,2006

JanetinPA

This will be our first cruise in this part of the world. How casual is the ship. I really don't want to pack alot as we are heading to Hawaii for 3 weeks after the cruise. We were hoping for a balcony, but the only thing available is a window cabin. Can you upgrade once you're on the ship? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! Feb. is just around the corner.

Hi Janet,

I grew up in Yardley and Levittown so I know where you live. I have a sister who lives very near Reedman Motors.

The PG is very casual. Shorts and jeans are not permitted in the dining rooms at night but the rest of the day swim suits, coverups or shorts are fine. Evenings are "Country Club Casual". For my husband this meant long pants and colared shirts and for myself a combination of long and short skirts/dresses and nice slacks with tops. We've been there in June, August and September when it is slightly cooler so I needed a sweater or wrap most evenings and my husband took a few more long sleeve shirts on our second trip.

About the upgrade - you can always ask when you board. They may get a last minute cancellation that will open up a balcony room. You could also ask to be waitlisted for one. We were in a window cabin on both trips and still loved it. Without the balcony, we enjoyed many breakfasts outdoors at La Veranda.

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info. My suitcase has gotten a whole lot lighter! Gee, if you are familiar with the area - my husband's family owned ***** Dairies which was right down the street from Reedman.

We are really looking forward to this cruise as I retire the end of Jan. and my husband turns 60 the beginning of Feb.

Janet

You lucky guys, what a great way to celebrate both your retirement and your husband's b'day! I haven't been there in Feb, but you are going in what they call "summer", which is somewhat hotter and stickier than the May-Sept. period, which is their "winter". So you may not need that wrap much, but it's wise to take it for the evenings in the ship's air-conditioning. There may also be times when it's too hot to eat outside (yes, it's true). So you may not miss the balcony that much. (I was there in mid-April, and it was beautiful, as always, but definitely muggy.) Maybe someone who has actually been there in Feb. can comment on that time period.

I'll second what Kathy says about attire. Don't bother even bringing blue-jeans, they are really too heavy for that climate. Short-sleeved shirts and nice pants for the men in evening, simple long skirts and tops, summer dresses for the women--think summer garden parties! Shorts, sun protection during the day, don't forget a pair of flip flops! Oh, and reef shoes.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Janet and Kathy,

I just happened upon your mesages and you brought back memories. I actually worked at ***** Daires when I was 16. It was quite the place back then. I dipped more Pig's dinners than I can to remember, frozen hands and all. I was sorry to see the family decided to sell but in retrospect I suppose it was inevitable.

I grew up in Levittown myself and went to Neshaminy, graduated in 1963.

It sure is a small world when you find people on the internet that lived so close to where one grew up.

Archived