Capnpugwash, almost live from MSC Opera

capnpugwash

Same here. I'm sure if there was something to warn us about Cap would let us know. So far the only thing to be aware of is the screeching woman and perhaps a few German pax. 😄

Agreed- have read many of capnpugwash's blogs and really get the 'this is how it is' feeling, and I thank him for that.

No problems with Germans, or Italians, or French, or even the English - I work with all of them on a daily basis.....but screeching women could be a breaker!!!!

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

Update

The day was excellent as expected and there was uninterrupted sunshine and not a cloud in the sky. The ship was empty for most of the day as people were on excursions to the Normandy Beaches and there were a couple of buses to Paris as well. To my mind that is just way too far to go. It is a 12 hour trip and the journey there takes approximately three and a half hours with the journey back taking between 45 and 60 minutes longer. So they sit on a bus for 8 hours to spend a maximum of 4 hours in Paris. The train takes less than 90 minutes each way but I imagine that the passengers are terrified of being back late and missing the ship. I can’t begin to imagine what they think could go wrong that would stop all the trains running. I doubt that whatever cataclysm occurred would also impact all the taxis as well. Some people don’t have a sense of adventure I suppose and live their lives wrapped in cotton wool.

I had a great lunch again, fish and chips preceded by Parmentier soup. This is basically leek and potato soup with bite sized pieces of vegetables in a fish stock which have mussels and clams added. It was wonderful and if I see it again I will certainly order it.

I packed this afternoon and did some work. It is awful to think that I have to get off tomorrow.

I like MSC, I like the Italian approach and the Italian food. I also like the casual aspect of the ships, if I want to dress up I can but there is no need to and no-one really cares. It is so dissimilar to Cunard and other lines in this respect as to be very refreshing. It isn’t for everyone I'm sure but for those of us who are free thinkers it is certainly worth a try.

I'm heading to the bar now for the final time, fond farewells and hugs will be the order of the day and then off to dinner at 9pm. We are due to sail at 8 and are only 75 miles from Southampton so I envisage a slow and sedate crossing of the English Channel.

Unless something exciting or noteworthy happens overnight, this will be my final entry.

Thank you all very much for sharing my journey, I've had a lot of fun as usual and I hope that you have as well.

Fin.

Final update

Just a final note about disembarkation, the Immigration Officers were in the restaurant on deck 6 and I strolled in there 30 minutes early at 7.45, I was off the ship 5 minutes later and found my case immediately in the Baggage Hall. The shuttle was waiting outside and by 8am I was driving out of Southampton towards Portsmouth and home. It was the simplest and quickest disembarkation ever and matched the embarkation efficiency. Well done MSC.