Port and excursion advice for first-timer on RCCL

erries

I've visited many Florida-based RCCL ports of call (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Labadee, St. Maarten, etc), but I've never stopped at Roatan. My in-laws will be traveling there on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas on Wednesday, April 5 (departs Galveston on April 2), and I'm trying to get some general information for them.

Where will this ship dock, and what's the port area like? I know some have lots to do while others are mostly just launching points for more interesting areas. Is there anything to do when you first get off the ship? Is it safe to walk around on your own?

As for excursions, my in-laws are in their 60s and are reasonably fit but not interested in physically adventurous activities like snorkeling or zip lining. They would also prefer an excursion through RCCL for security reasons. I looked at the list and saw a number of beach break type excursions, plus a few that do bus tours or the like. Suggestions?

I appreciate your response, since I haven't been there myself and can't offer advice based on my own experience.

RCL docks in Coxen Hole.

If they are NOT beach people, snorkelers, then island tours might be better for them.

There are shops in a two story shopping area at the port. Most are either the typical cruise port shops like Diamonds International, t shirt shops, etc.. There will be one or two shops with island/Honduran goods. Coffee is a good buy. If FIL likes cigars, they should have hand rolled Honduran cigars. Cameos are made on the island. And the native wood carvings et. al. are very well done. I believe Yaba Ding Ding has a shop in the port as well as one in Coxen Hole.

I can understand first time cruisers being leary of non-ship sponsored excursions. Btu for really well done island tours (try to go up island past French harbor toward Oakville), good drivers, strong safety records, and strong records of making it back to the ship in plenty of time, you should direct them to reviews here and websites for Victor Bodden or Rony's Tours, or even Daniel Johnson who has the sloths.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like it would be safe for them to get off the ship and walk around in the port area to shop and look around on their own. I'd love to set them up with a private tour (believe me, that's what I'd be doing if I were going!), but they're not very adventurous travelers on their own. I'll be lucky to convince them to get off the ship at all. I was just curious to know if it was safe and whether there was anything to do around the port area, or whether you guys would recommend a ship excursion.

Thanks again!