St. Tropez excursions - need advice

SusanIL

My husband and I are sailing on the Azamara Quest, tendered in St. Tropez from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. in early September. Because St. Tropez is not a large port and we have such a long day there we're considering one of the ship's excursions. The problem is, we can't decide which villages to visit. The choices are:

• Bormes Les Mimosas
  • Grimaud/Port Grimaud
  • Gassin/Ramatuelle

Or, get away from the coast and go to Thoronet to visit the Abbaye and a vineyard for wine tasting/lunch.

Any thoughts? Our next port is Monaco and we're going to DIY to Nice and/or Eze so that one is covered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, SusanIL

Saint-Tropez is such a laid-back port, even with the millions of day-visitors ... wonderful, to have a walk along the harbour, to do some yacht-spotting and people-watching and have a glass of cool rosé on the main square, watching the petanque players. However, the (in)famous beach clubs are not in town, but stretched along the St.Tropez pensinsula, and require taxi rides back and forth. They are all private and ask for a substantial entrance fee... but to sip a glass of bubbly amidst the international jet-set, why not?!

However, you have a lot of time to explore the area. If you are into history and/or wines, it is worth to choose the Thoronet excursion. You will be driving through oak and chestnut forests across the Massif de Maures mountain range, nice villages to be seen on the way. The wine country behind the mountains is all rolling hills and vineyards to the horizon. Good wines, too.

There will be time enough for some strolling and shopping in St. Tropez later, I guess. The town has a nice website, just check it out for further information.

Have a nice day in the Provence and a nice day in Monaco, too!

• 2 months later...
My husband and I are sailing on the Azamara Quest, tendered in St. Tropez from 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. in early September. Because St. Tropez is not a large port and we have such a long day there we're considering one of the ship's excursions. The problem is, we can't decide which villages to visit. The choices are:

Bormes Les Mimosas, Grimaud/Port Grimaud, Gassin/Ramatuelle

Or, get away from the coast and go to Thoronet to visit the Abbaye and a vineyard for wine tasting/lunch. Any thoughts? Our next port is Monaco and we're going to DIY to Nice and/or Eze so that one is covered.

Have you been to Provence previously? That would be my first suggestion, but it is probably too far to drive from St. Tropez to Aix, etc. There's some great coastal sight east of Saint-Raphael as shown in the below picture. If you reserve ahead and get a rental car, that gives you lots of options and flexibility. With another couple, maybe a box lunch from the ship or food you pick up from small town bakery/boulangerie/patisserie shop, it can be a very fun and flexible day. Much will also depend on the weather that day.

You might grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. As you research the various small villages and other country areas, you'll find an option that fits your personal interests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Along the scenic southern French coast west of Cannes:

CannesWCoast.jpg

• 4 years later...
We are investigating the possibility of booking a private tour in St Tropez. Would you be interested in considering that possibility to bring the cost down per person. Julie and I are looking for others to join us. If any interest please feel free to E-mail me on rbarryw@aol.com

We are visiting St Tropez at a port on our Itinerary next June. Did you find a private tour company an if so how was it & would you be willing to share the name please.

I'm coming up with nothing using goggle. Thanks!