Is this a "do not miss" port?

gkrnjlr

We have been cruising for a while now but the itinerary on our next cruise has all new ports for us. One of the ports is La Romana. We are a family of 5 - so excursions get expensive when we book them.

I've read a few things about seeing armed guards, etc. Is this a safe port? Is it a port that is a "do not miss" or would this be a good one to stay on the ship and hang out by the pool and spa?

Thanks!

Jennifer

We have been cruising for a while now but the itinerary on our next cruise has all new ports for us. One of the ports is La Romana. We are a family of 5 - so excursions get expensive when we book them.

I've read a few things about seeing armed guards, etc. Is this a safe port? Is it a port that is a "do not miss" or would this be a good one to stay on the ship and hang out by the pool and spa?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Great questions! I'm hoping to gather the same information on this port...

We enjoyed one of our best excursions ever at this port, it took some research but it was worth the effort. So yes, this is definitely a great port to spend some $ on an independent excursion if you can. For most itineraries that include La Romana that is the best port to take an excursion. We took the Seavis Tours Saona Island Special that's tailored to Carnival guests. Top-notch outfit and a great day for young and old alike. Take a look at the description and see if it's worth the price for 5 - ;)

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/shoreexcursion_e.htm

Thanks!

Jennifer

We rented a car at the Avis booth near the taxi stand and was very economical. It was $90 so not to bad for a family of 5. We did not see any armed guards and always felt safe. Driving to where the beaches are is extremely easy but if you do drive into the actual city of La Romana it could be a little chaotic. We loved this port and glad we didn't stay on the ship.

We rented a car at the Avis booth near the taxi stand and was very economical. It was $90 so not to bad for a family of 5. We did not see any armed guards and always felt safe. Driving to where the beaches are is extremely easy but if you do drive into the actual city of La Romana it could be a little chaotic. We loved this port and glad we didn't stay on the ship.

That's not a bad idea, either.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

La Romana is a love it/hate it port. It can be more dangerous than many ports of call, but you will be well if you are cautious. My wife and I enjoy history, so we did the Santo Domingo city tour. It's a long drive there, but you see the Columbus family palace and many other interesting things in the old town.