no helmets with Bodden?

trish1c

The last time I went ziplilning, while I hated it b/c it wasn't just sitting & sliding, I was incredibly impressed with all of the safety features -- pads, helmets, double lines etc. If a tour operator isn't giving us one of those things it makes me nervous about other safety features that may be missing.

Does anybody have safety information about this zip line facility?

My family and I went on a tour and ziplining with Victor Bodden. He picked us up at the port, took us on a tour of the island and then went to his house for ziplining. We did not use helmets. He had all new equipment and they took the time to make sure we were belted up properly. Our safty was their top concern. They were very professional! We would do it again in a heartbeat. That was the best excursion we had on our Valor cruise last Thanksgiving! I can't speak highly enough about him and his group.

Think about it, YOU Cannot do a zipline in the US without a helmet if following their procedures. Sure, if you fall from 70 feet it may not matter but what if you fall from 10 or 20 feet or fall off the platform?? ? Hit your head on a 10 foot fall with a helmet you laugh about it, hit your head on a rock without one on a ten foot fall and you need someone to wipe your butt the rest of your life after going to the toilet. There IS a reason ALL US based Ziplines require a helmet. ALSO, There IS NO EMERGENCY or Trauma center on the island if you get hurt. THERE is also NO ONE to SUE for negligence if you get hurt as they are all broke and will just leave. TRY THE CRUISE SHIP but that most often does not work.

Sandiver, I see you are stirring up the pot again. You make a good point that the US has safety regs. for a reason. You also can't play with monkees in the US either- they might bite. You could get mugged when you get off the ship, or there might be an uprising that affects the tourists. Some of us like to live a little.

However, I seriously doubt VB will up and leave if an injury occurs on his property. He is a highly respected businessman that cares about his customers. I'm sure their safety is a major concern for him as his business depends on our business. Where would he just up and leave to? I seriously doubt he is broke, but I'm sure he is not accustomed to American propensity to sue. Personally, I hope he is in business for years to come.

While Roatan is not is not as advanced as other countries, many of us enjoy visiting the island and participating in activities that aren't full of regulations. I guess we have to weigh the risks versus the benefits.

For the life of me, I can't understand why you continue to post such negative remarks about a country you have professed to reside in

I have never done this excursion so I don't know his practice on helmets. But I did zipline in Belize where helmets were required. I thought it was kind of funny thinking that if I fell from that height, the helmet would do little to help me. I asked one of the tour operators and they explained it was to protect your head from the safety hookups that come flying back to the platform. Sure enough I got one in the side of the head. I was glad I had my helmet!!;)

For the life of me, I can't understand why you continue to post such negative remarks about a country you have professed to reside in

For the life of me I cannot figure out how someone could continually misread posts simply because they are not all bright shiny and happy and coated with sugar.

My posts were to be honest to people, not negative. People in the US expect safety, sometimes too much maybe but sometimes not. What about helmet law for motorcycles? At least in places that repealed the helmet laws they make the people not wearing them without them to have a certain amount of insurance. Helmets on Zipline should be an option and if people say no then make them sign paper saying they know its a danger I never suggested Victot or any other tour operators were broke but be real, Lawsuits most north americans think of start in the millions not a couple grand. That would not cover repatriation. If there is a serious injury there is no trauma center, there is no blood bank.

Sorry if you find the truth to be a negatve thing. I love my Island and people as it is and as it grows and I am proud to tell just like it is without needing to cover it in sugar. As long as you are pushing this as the US having overprotective standards you will also back the food people that do not have handwashing standards, inspections, often not running water and things like that right?

there is a risk involved in anything we do. You run MUCH less of a risk zip linning at this place then you do driving your car to the airport...you wearing a helmet on your way to the airport? :D

If on a scooter or moto I would wear a helmet to airport.

It I was in a heavy duty gondola with seated on a zipline I would not wear a helmet

For the life of me I cannot figure out how someone could continually misread posts simply because they are not all bright shiny and happy and coated with sugar.

My posts were to be honest to people, not negative. People in the US expect safety, sometimes too much maybe but sometimes not. What about helmet law for motorcycles? At least in places that repealed the helmet laws they make the people not wearing them without them to have a certain amount of insurance. Helmets on Zipline should be an option and if people say no then make them sign paper saying they know its a danger I never suggested Victot or any other tour operators were broke but be real, Lawsuits most north americans think of start in the millions not a couple grand. That would not cover repatriation. If there is a serious injury there is no trauma center, there is no blood bank.

Sorry if you find the truth to be a negatve thing. I love my Island and people as it is and as it grows and I am proud to tell just like it is without needing to cover it in sugar. As long as you are pushing this as the US having overprotective standards you will also back the food people that do not have handwashing standards, inspections, often not running water and things like that right?

Of course you have the right to point out any perceived deficiencies in safety standards, but what I found inflammatory was the insinuation that the people of Roatan have no interest in the safety of their customers as they are all broke and will just leave if someone sues them. I believe this statement is completly misleading. I think that Roatan is just not in the same category as the US when it comes to rules and regulations. One serious injury on his zipline would be sure to be published and be potentially disasterous to his business, so of course he is interested in the safety of his customers. I suspect once word of these concerns get back to him, they will seriously consider helmet use in the future.

I don't believe I said that the US should relax their safety standards. I did state that some of us are willing to accept the risks of visiting a foriegn country that may not have the same standards in place.

, but what I found inflammatory was the insinuation that the people of Roatan have no interest in the safety of their customers as they are all broke and will just leave if someone sues them.

MD, By US Standards as far as lawsuits go they are not well off financially, especially without millions in insurance policies and then, if all safety equipment as recognized by industry standards was not used the Insurance companies would not honor the policy saying they truly were negligent. Sure they have interest in safety, but do they do all they can do to provide safety? Why no helmets when all in North America require them, is it too expensive? I know they can afford them because you told me they have money worth suing over

I really don't want to debate the merits of safety equipment with anybody on this board. I wanted to know if we got helmets on this tour. Apparently the answer is no, so I now have to make a personal decision about whether I want to go on the excursion. For those of you who don't like helmets or regulations OK. That's fine, it's your choice. Why do your views have to be mine or anyopne else's?

As for the person who asked whether I'd wear a helmet to the AP, of course not but I will be surrounded by steel, wearing a 3 point seat belt & cushioned by airbags. There will be safety equipment involved.

Archived