St. Maarten Excursions

baldhill156

We are booked on the Conquest for January. I was doing a little research on the ports to get an idea of things we'd most like to see. I ran across a web page for the island of St. Maarten & it advertised lots of excursions from local companies. Some of these sounded better than those offered by the cruise line and much cheaper. I know that you take your chances of the ship leaving without you if you don't get back in time but other than that I was just wanting some feedback. This is our first cruise.

We used Amigo Tours for an island tour in September. Our tour covered the whole island and included stops at Orient Beach and Maho Beach (just in time for the AF Airbus 340). Book it online and look on their website for discounts. We would use them again.

I understand your apprehension to a private tour...the ship won't wait for you if you're late. But keep in mind the tour companies have reputations to protect and not getting you back in time affects them too...and their business. Our tour got us back in plenty of time.

We are booked on the Conquest for January. I was doing a little research on the ports to get an idea of things we'd most like to see. I ran across a web page for the island of St. Maarten & it advertised lots of excursions from local companies. Some of these sounded better than those offered by the cruise line and much cheaper. I know that you take your chances of the ship leaving without you if you don't get back in time but other than that I was just wanting some feedback. This is our first cruise.

The best thing to do is browse through the pages here and get ideas and reviews of the excursions that you are interested in. There is lots of valuable information on the past pages on the Ports of Call boards. After you narrow it down and if you have questions you can either add your question to an existing thread or start a new one.

For instance there are probably hundreds of threads on Maho beach with the same basic questions asked and answered over and over again. People would have all their questions answered if they read through other threads on the subject.

If you book with a reputable local tour operator anywhere in the world they are not going to let you miss the ship. Very few people miss the ship and often alcohol is involved.

In St Maarten we did a trip with Bernard's Tours who get excellent reviews.

I second Bernard's Tours. We have done private tours with a small group... maybe get a group from your cruise message board. They are very good with timing and know the traffic issues and airport schedules at Maho. Once we've had Timo as a driver. Another time, Lucias. Both excellent. The AC and sound system in their small vans was very good.

• 1 month later...

I third Bernard's tours. We've used Bernard's Tours twice and you won't be disappointed. Last time we had the Mailman as our driver and he was so entertaining and informative. Our group of 18 (ages 8-65) had a wonderful time. Orient Beach is beautiful and airplane beach might be my most favorite place on Earth. They are so much more affordable than the cruise ship excursions. Hope that helps and that you have fun.