Has anyone done The Baths on their own while sailing with NCL Escape

heckp

Hello, I'm hoping to see if anyone has done the Baths on their own while sailing with NCL Escape. We will be sailing on May 7 and hoping to do the Baths while in Tortola. It shows that Escape arrives at 7:00am and then leaves at 3:00pm. If anyone has done it, how did you go about it, and did you have enough time getting back for 3:00pm sailaway? Thank you.

We did it a couple of weeks ago and would recommend it. We got off the boat about 7:15, asked directions to the ferry, walked there in about 10 minutes. The ticket window wasn't open yet and we were told you can buy tickets on the boat, but then it opened. Tickets for roundtrip ferry and taxi were $38 per person. The ferry left right at 7:45, so don't be late.The half hour ride over was rocky, but that doesn't bother us. When we arrived we got right onto the open air taxi and were at the Baths in about 10 minutes. There is a $3 charge for the National Park. I had read advice to take the path to the left to Devil's Bay, which we did, but I wouldn't recommend that, since you miss all of the water caves and ladders that lead to the beach. We attempted to go back up that way, but we were against traffic, and it's basically one way at a time. So, take the regular path on the right that says to the Baths, and when you get to the beach turn left to walk a short distance to Devil's Bay. There was a red flag out when we were there with some big waves coming in, but there were still a lot of people in the water. The area is beautiful and well worth the trip. About 11:30 we walked back up and got in a taxi. When the taxi is full it leaves. We got back to the dock and still had some time before the 12:45 ferry, so we walked along and sat on the small beach on the other side of the pier. School children arrived for a swim while we were there. Drinks were also sold there. Again, the ferry was on time and we were back on the Escape before 2:00.

We did it a couple of weeks ago and would recommend it. We got off the boat about 7:15, asked directions to the ferry, walked there in about 10 minutes. The ticket window wasn't open yet and we were told you can buy tickets on the boat, but then it opened. Tickets for roundtrip ferry and taxi were $38 per person. The ferry left right at 7:45, so don't be late.The half hour ride over was rocky, but that doesn't bother us. When we arrived we got right onto the open air taxi and were at the Baths in about 10 minutes. There is a $3 charge for the National Park. I had read advice to take the path to the left to Devil's Bay, which we did, but I wouldn't recommend that, since you miss all of the water caves and ladders that lead to the beach. We attempted to go back up that way, but we were against traffic, and it's basically one way at a time. So, take the regular path on the right that says to the Baths, and when you get to the beach turn left to walk a short distance to Devil's Bay. There was a red flag out when we were there with some big waves coming in, but there were still a lot of people in the water. The area is beautiful and well worth the trip. About 11:30 we walked back up and got in a taxi. When the taxi is full it leaves. We got back to the dock and still had some time before the 12:45 ferry, so we walked along and sat on the small beach on the other side of the pier. School children arrived for a swim while we were there. Drinks were also sold there. Again, the ferry was on time and we were back on the Escape before 2:00.

Thank you so much. I hope I can convince my husband to do this. We will be saving $160CDN if we did it ourselves, 4 people. My husband is a big worrier

Hello, I'm hoping to see if anyone has done the Baths on their own while sailing with NCL Escape. We will be sailing on May 7 and hoping to do the Baths while in Tortola. It shows that Escape arrives at 7:00am and then leaves at 3:00pm. If anyone has done it, how did you go about it, and did you have enough time getting back for 3:00pm sailaway? Thank you.

Take a look at many of the very recent threads on the Baths and you'll fine a ton of threads from folks in the same situation with the same questions, along with specifics on ferry options and other info. You have limited time but it is doable if you want that.

Enjoy!

Thanks for your review! We're contemplating doing the Baths/Spring Bay on our own from the Escape, as well. We sail in April and we'll have our kids with us, so we are trying to keep it budget friendly. Seems like we would have time to get to the 7:45 ferry over to Virgin Gorda. How was the walk? Is it along a busy street ?

Thanks for your review! We're contemplating doing the Baths/Spring Bay on our own from the Escape, as well. We sail in April and we'll have our kids with us, so we are trying to keep it budget friendly. Seems like we would have time to get to the 7:45 ferry over to Virgin Gorda. How was the walk? Is it along a busy street ?

If you're doing it on your own, would you kindly report back how it worked out for you. Thank you!

We did it a couple of weeks ago and would recommend it.

Thanks so much for your reply! I have been debating whether or not to cancel the NCL Baths excursion since I've read it can be done so easily on our own. My only concern was the Escape's short port time in Tortola. I'm so happy to hear firsthand that it can be done in the amount of time we'll be there.

The walk was very easy and not along a busy street.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Is there any way someone with experience could mark up a Google satellite image or map showing where the ferry is in relationship to the ship?

If you zoom in on the map on this site you'll see the cruise pier, and the ferry terminal is on the other side of Pusser's Pub and Crafts Alive.

http://www.whatsinport.com/Roadtown-Tortola.htm

The "ferries" link takes you to this ferry schedule -

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_vg.htm

Does anyone know if the ferries are the same if you go on your own or if you go on an excursion with the Escape? We have some friends who might do the excursion through NCL and we might go on our own since we don't have the excursion credit.

Thanks!

Yes it should be the same ferry. I'm not sure if a separate ferry is commandeered in some cases, but you should be looking at the same ferry from this schedule -

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_vg.htm

• 3 weeks later...

We just did a day excursion to The Baths from Road Town with a semi-private charter named Egbert.

$50PP round trip including taxi service at Virgin Gorda and an open bar on the way back to Road Town.

We just did a day excursion to The Baths from Road Town with a semi-private charter named Egbert.

$50PP round trip including taxi service at Virgin Gorda and an open bar on the way back to Road Town.

And do you recommend it? How was it?

A quick google search lead me to this less than stellar review, but it is from 2010...

"

“Aside from Egbert, our transportation, the baths in Tortola were AMAZING!”

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

We went on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. We did a lot of research ahead of time on our excursions and were 100 % satisfied on every one except for one part. We decided to go to the Virgin Gorda Baths in Tortola. We looked at all the reviews and found that it was a great spot to snorkel, swim and hike. Beautiful beaches and amazing rock formations. Since our cruise ship docked so early, we wanted to beat the crowd and find someone with a speed boat to take us right to the baths. We read review after review and found some that mentioned a gentleman named Egbert. We gave him a call and he promised us that we would beat the crowd, that the trip to the baths would be in his speed boat and be fast and pleasant. He promised drinks and snorkel equipment. And he said his price was better than the ferry and that if we weren't satisfied, we didn't have to pay. NOT TRUE. He overbooked us, so we were stuck on this boat that was anything but speedy. The engine was letting off fumes that made people so sick they were vomitting and we most definitely did not beat the crowd. The ferry we were supposed to beat passed us along the way. So the only promise Egbert made that he fulfilled was that he got us to the baths alive. We were furious and decided to only pay him half and catch the ferry back (which cost the same as he was charging). After we toured the baths, we were catching our taxi back to the ferry and Mr Egbert hunted us down to ask for all his money back. We absolutely refused and after a big scene, he left. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING EGBERT. Just catch the ferry and enjoy the baths. They are breathtaking and beautiful. Well worth the trip.

Bring your own snorkel gear, it is MUCH cheaper. (It is even cheaper to buy them in St Thomas).

You'll have to catch the ferry, which is $20 each way. And a taxi from the ferry to the baths, which is $3/person each way. WELL WORTH IT. It was a great experience aside from our transportation."

Edited by tcald429

And do you recommend it? How was it?

I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

He did exactly what he promised, plus he was cheaper and faster than booking an excursion on the ship or the public ferry.

Feel free to use the boards search function and enter his name, plenty of positive reviews for Egbert.

Edited by eng23ine

We were there last week and you could definitely do it in that timeframe. We were actually in port from 8-5pm, so we took the 9am ferry (a 5 min walk to the left of the pier), arrived at 9:35, and we were at the beach by 10. However, the other ferry service that everyone talks about was NOT working that day (or at all, I can't tell) so we had to be back for the 1:30pm ferry. That means we were there from about 10-1pm, which was very short, but totally doable. We did the Baths section first, then walked through the caves to Devil's Bay. The caves can take awhile if there are a lot of people. Then we had to walk back to the car park to catch that taxi that was waiting. It was really fun, but I wish it was longer. However, it would work perfect for you as we were back on Tortola a little after 2pm, which would give you enough time to get back on board.

Edited by Justabitoff

We were there last week and you could definitely do it in that timeframe. We were actually in port from 8-5pm, so we took the 9am ferry (a 5 min walk to the left of the pier), arrived at 9:35, and we were at the beach by 10. However, the other ferry service that everyone talks about was NOT working that day (or at all, I can't tell) so we had to be back for the 1:30pm ferry. That means we were there from about 10-1pm, which was very short, but totally doable. We did the Baths section first, then walked through the caves to Devil's Bay. The caves can take awhile if there are a lot of people. Then we had to walk back to the car park to catch that taxi that was waiting. It was really fun, but I wish it was longer. However, it would work perfect for you as we were back on Tortola a little after 2pm, which would give you enough time to get back on board.

Thank you for this. I think Escape will be there 7-3 according to the schedule. You were on the Escape too? They changed their schedule?

• 3 weeks later...

You can do either. I'd normally recommend going on your own because you have a bit more freedom and can avoid the worst crowds. But since you are on the ship and you also have a shortish port day you don't really gain much, unless of course you want to head for nearby Spring Bay or Savannah Bay instead. But you're going to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths so you would want to go there. There are several threads on the subject if you want other opinions, just not

You can do either. I'd normally recommend going on your own because you have a bit more freedom and can avoid the worst crowds. But since you are on the ship and you also have a shortish port day you don't really gain much, unless of course you want to head for nearby Spring Bay or Savannah Bay instead. But you're going to Virgin Gorda to see the Baths so you would want to go there. There are several threads on the subject if you want other opinions, just not

Thank you, I think we are going to skip the Baths due to the short time, and look at another excursion that will be more easily accessible. The short port time frames are a bit of a downer, but we plan on returning to these islands individually in the future if we like them. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you, I think we are going to skip the Baths due to the short time, and look at another excursion that will be more easily accessible. The short port time frames are a bit of a downer, but we plan on returning to these islands individually in the future if we like them. Thanks for the advice.

Yes the shorter port times are disappointing, especially for the BVI. We spend land vacations on Tortola and love it there, and you will definitely enjoy the Baths much more when there on a land-based trip as you can avoid the larger crowds. So I hope you do get a chance to return to the BVI for a longer visit. For your cruise stop if you are looking for a nice beach on Tortola there ar a few depending on whether you want a busy vibe (Cane Carden Bay), less busy with 1 beach bar (Brewers), or more secluded with few amenities (Smuggler's Cove). An island tour is also a great choice because Tortola is really beautiful.

If you decide to return we sometimes spend a few days on St Thomas after Tortola and before flying home from STT because it's easier to get to the airport, and we enjoy renting a condo on beautiful Sapphire Beach on STT. And that is a great way to have two very different experiences if you decide that you'd like to return to STT also. Flights into STT are easy from the east coast and the ferry between STT and Tortola is just 50 min.

Have a great cruise!

meant to add that if you are interested in snorkeling Brewers is the most popular beach. Many people also take the Rebel Yell (ship excursion) to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke, nice beach with some fun beach bars however that is the main experience, and you don't get a lot of time there either.

One option I recommend to folks who aren't necessarily interested in snorkeling or hanging at a beach bar all morning is to taxi to Long Bay (West End) and enjoy a less busy beach. Long, walkable, picture postcard beach where you have a restaurant and $5 lounge rentals. If you really wanted to you could also rent a Jeep in Road Town and include a stop at Smuggler's Cove which is off an unpaved road just beyond Long Bay. It's an easy, flat drive along the south coast (as compared to the drive from RT to CGB or Brewers) and a short hill over Zion Hill Road. But that would also be a good day while staying on the island.

Cruising is a great way to see many different destinations in a short amount of time, and as you said you can return for a longer stay to those places you liked the most.