Zihuatanejo, Mexico (Ixtapa)

Cinder Again

Any thoughts on what to do, and/or any private tour operator info for Zihuatanejo, Mexico (Ixtapa)? This is a new port for me, so I'd appreciate any info, thanks! We'll be there the first week of February, if we want to snorkel, will it be "wet suit" temp in the water? Thanks!

The water is warm, not too clear as a snorkeling port. If you want to "see" Mexico, I would walk over to the mercado (15 minutes or so)and wander through it. Safe to eat at any of the fondas. Also, I think you arrive at 7 so try to be first off. As you leave the pier a short block to the right, is the fish market. The fishermen have the fish they caught in the night right on the sand, housewives, restaurant owners doing their daily shopping....it's over around 8:30 or so.....have coffee and/or breakfast right there under the umbrellas...Spend the day as a beach day on Playa La Ropa at Paty's, (good food, clean bathrooms) a 40 peso taxi ride, (if you don't have pesos US 4 bucks will do it) all taxi drivers know it. Paty's does not take charge cards but does take US dollars....

The water is warm, not too clear as a snorkeling port. If you want to "see" Mexico, I would walk over to the mercado (15 minutes or so)and wander through it. Safe to eat at any of the fondas. Also, I think you arrive at 7 so try to be first off. As you leave the pier a short block to the right, is the fish market. The fishermen have the fish they caught in the night right on the sand, housewives, restaurant owners doing their daily shopping....it's over around 8:30 or so.....have coffee and/or breakfast right there under the umbrellas...Spend the day as a beach day on Playa La Ropa at Paty's, (good food, clean bathrooms) a 40 peso taxi ride, (if you don't have pesos US 4 bucks will do it) all taxi drivers know it. Paty's does not take charge cards but does take US dollars....

Great advice from lardor. Just relax and enjoy beautiful Zihuatanejo. My favorite port in Mexico!

Great advice from lardor. Just relax and enjoy beautiful Zihuatanejo. My favorite port in Mexico!

I loved it there too. So laid back and relaxing. I loved watching the fishermen go out to sea in their small boats. Nice eating a taco at the little market and drinking a margarita.

I did go into Ixtapa. I guess I can say I'm happy I saw it but don't have any need to go back. Very clean and pretty but looks like it could be any seaside city here in Southern California. Not why I go to Mexico.