Need suggestions on which beach in Cabo.

Corntea

Hi there, we will be sailing on the Splendor in October and are trying to make decisions on the best place to spend a day at the beach. We will have two little girls, ages 5 and 8, and here are our hopes. ANY HELP or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

We would love a place to sit under an umbrella and order a quesadilla and a few cerveza's.

We don't really want to be at a "Spring Break" atmosphere with wet t-shirt contests. :-)

We would love a nice beach for the kids to play on and maybe swim/snorkel in some calm water

Any suggestions on which beach/location we can find this at?

I would go to Pelican beach. * *Medano beach is where the bars are and there is a party atmosphere at times. *A water taxi can take you to Pelican beach for just a few dollars. * That is also the beach a lot of the snorkeling excursions go- there is snorkeling from the beach that's not too bad. *You can swim from this beach no problem and there is a rock a lot of kids climb and jump from- although much older kids than yours :). You can also walk on the beach to Lovers Beach from this beach.

Here is a pic of Pelican Beach-

splendor208.jpg

A local set us up with the umbrellas, chairs, boogey boards and cooler for the day. I have his info if your interested.

Here is a pic of the rock-

splendor209.jpg

Pelican Beach is good, but there are no facilities there (Cantinas, restaurants, or bathrooms.)

If it were me, I would either grab a water taxi to Medano (Tabascos is our favorite, as we've never been "exposed" :D to wet t-shirt contests, and it seems a "bit" tamer than several of the other Cantinas.)

Very good (and inexpensive) food, cold beer, all of the Margaritas that you can consume, and bathrooms at Tabascos!

As stated above, you can take a water taxi there for $2-3US per person, or a land taxi for about $12 for up to 6.

If you take a water taxi (and we love the water taxis!), expect to disembark in ankle-knee deep water. The same goes for the return trip.

One of the benefits of a land taxi is that you will get to see some of Cabo that you might otherwise miss.

My best bet? Grab a land taxi at the Marina, enjoy the beach and the Cantinas, watch the other folks boarding the water taxis, and then decide how to get back to the Marina.

Don't overlook the Marina area, though. We spend 10 days twice a year in Cabo, and we spend a lot of our time wandering the Marina. Lots of really great Cantinas and restaurants. A great "people watching" place.

Just my $0.02Pesos worth.

I agree with Downsized. Although Pelican Beach/Lover's Beach are really pretty I wouldn't go there with two little children for any length of time. It's just beach. No facilities, restaurants, nothing.

Go to Medano Beach. I see you had some suggestions. Not all of the beach is a crazy party atmosphere. Since you are going in October you should be just fine. If you were going in March or April I might have other words of advise for you. You can walk around a bit and see what area strikes you.

Enjoy your time in Cabo. I love it there.:)

Edited by MichelleinOC

Having been to Cabo many times, I have to agree with the latter posts. While Pelican beach is pretty cool, with children the age of yours, you probably don't want to be stuck on a beach with no facilities. If you catch a water taxi at the pier and ask for a tour to Lover's beach you will get a pretty neat ride. You will see the fish and snorkelers in through a glass bottom boat as well as sea lions etc. The kids will enjoy it. At the end they will drop you off at Medano beach for the day and arrange a time to come and pick you up for your return trip to the pier.

We have done this several times and have enjoyed it each time. We have also walked back to the pier from the beach and enjoyed seeing some of downtown that you don't see from the pier. This also allows you to do a little shopping on the way back.

Whichever beach you decide, hope you have a great time. Remember, do not pay the initial price quoted for the water taxi tour. As with most shopping, they are willing to make a deal.:)

We went to Chileno Beach and it was wonderful. We hired a private driver. He picked us up at the port, drove us to the beach, brought us water, beer, and sodas, and sat and waited for us until we were ready. Once we were ready, we still had some time so he took us to the glass factory, and then to his favorite place on Medano for a late lunch. I can give you his name if interested. He spoke perfect english and was such a gentleman.

But about the beach. Soooo beautiful. Bathrooms & showers. Palapas. Clear water. Lots of beautiful fish to snorkle with (this is one of the places that the snorkle trips go to by boat). There is no where to get food, but we brought snacks to get us through until lunch. If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will. This beach is so nice that it is comparable to some of the beaches on Maui:)

We went to Chileno Beach and it was wonderful. We hired a private driver. He picked us up at the port, drove us to the beach, brought us water, beer, and sodas, and sat and waited for us until we were ready. Once we were ready, we still had some time so he took us to the glass factory, and then to his favorite place on Medano for a late lunch. I can give you his name if interested. He spoke perfect english and was such a gentleman.

But about the beach. Soooo beautiful. Bathrooms & showers. Palapas. Clear water. Lots of beautiful fish to snorkle with (this is one of the places that the snorkle trips go to by boat). There is no where to get food, but we brought snacks to get us through until lunch. If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will. This beach is so nice that it is comparable to some of the beaches on Maui:)

That is great info! Thank you! Do you remember which restaurant on Medano he took you to? Would the glass factory be interesting for kids?

That is great info! Thank you! Do you remember which restaurant on Medano he took you to? Would the glass factory be interesting for kids?

Honestly, I don't think the glass factory would be that interesting for kids. I like seeing local craftmakers,etc but wasn't all that enthralled by the glass factory in Cabo.

The name of the restaurant was the Sand Bar. The food was sooo yummy. I thought the glass factory was really interesting. Now, because we had our private guide who knew the workers and even helped make the glass, we got a real close up look. The factory is free, but we did tip the workers and bought a beautiful glass turtle.

427001_10150740206166138_568223613_n.jpg

Food at the Sand Bar

419000_10150740157526138_1242884110_n.jpg

First view of Chileno Beach from walkway from parking lot

429636_10150740157751138_1137440564_n.jpg

The beach:)

429445_10150740158246138_1204267033_n.jpg

The swimming and snorkeling areas are roped off.

I hope these pictures help you make your decision.

Can you rent snorkle gear once you are there? are there any refreshments at all or definitely bring your own?

How much do you think a taxi to CHileno beach would cost?

any other activities like parasailing at that beach?

I didn't see anywhere to rent snorkle gear at the beach, we brought our own. Our driver could have provided them for an additional cost. Definitely bring your own refreshments. I have read in other posts(on cc and ta) that sometimes there is someone there who rents gear but I didn't see anyone and we were there during spring break and there were 3 ships in port. So I wouldn't chance it. And I have no idea about a taxi. We hired a private driver for the day and reserved that before our trip.

Some of you might consider looking into one of the party boats that include food/drink and take you snorkeling and usually provide refreshments. There are all kinds of offerings from low priced to first class. Pez Gato is one that a lot of cruisers use and it is very close to the tender pier. You can google is for info.

Here is a link to others:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7k_MbkZQ6zEAgJ9XNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGNzcmNwdmlkA1VyaWhiMG9HN3Y3R19zNjRVQ1ZHVXc1Tk1uRk9sbEJHYnFRQUJWOVMEZnIDeWZwLXQtNTIxLXMEZnIyA3NnLWdhYwRpdANncARuX2dwcwMxMARvcmlnaW4Dc3JwBHBvcwMyBHBxc3RyA2NhYm8gc2FuIGx1Y2FzIHNub3IEcXVlcnkDY2FibyBzYW4gbHVjYXMgc25vcgRzYWMDMQRzYW8DMgRzZWMDcmVsLXNhBHNsawN0ZXh0BHZ0ZXN0aWQDU01FMTMy?p=cabo%20san%20lucas%20snorkel%20tours&fr2=sg-gac&fr=yfp-t-521-s&pqstr=cabo%20san%20lucas%20snor

That way you don't have to worry about bringing your own gear and logistics.

Some of you might consider looking into one of the party boats that include food/drink and take you snorkeling and usually provide refreshments. There are all kinds of offerings from low priced to first class. Pez Gato is one that a lot of cruisers use and it is very close to the tender pier. You can google is for info.

Here is a link to others:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7k_MbkZQ6zEAgJ9XNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGNzcmNwdmlkA1VyaWhiMG9HN3Y3R19zNjRVQ1ZHVXc1Tk1uRk9sbEJHYnFRQUJWOVMEZnIDeWZwLXQtNTIxLXMEZnIyA3NnLWdhYwRpdANncARuX2dwcwMxMARvcmlnaW4Dc3JwBHBvcwMyBHBxc3RyA2NhYm8gc2FuIGx1Y2FzIHNub3IEcXVlcnkDY2FibyBzYW4gbHVjYXMgc25vcgRzYWMDMQRzYW8DMgRzZWMDcmVsLXNhBHNsawN0ZXh0BHZ0ZXN0aWQDU01FMTMy?p=cabo%20san%20lucas%20snorkel%20tours&fr2=sg-gac&fr=yfp-t-521-s&pqstr=cabo%20san%20lucas%20snor

That way you don't have to worry about bringing your own gear and logistics.

I have to agree with this. We've used Cabo Escape (ten of us, ages 12-62) and we all had a great time both times that we have been aboard. A double decker boat, great music that seems to agree with all ages, a fun crew, an open bar, and a very more than "decent" light meal served. We've observed whales, dolphins, and Rays, while gently sailing to Chileno Bay where all can snorkel and swim.

It's an easy walk from the cruise dock.

There are several other outfits, with different size and styles of boats, and frankly, they all look like fun....uh...other than (perhaps) the "Jungle Cruise", where it appears (to me, at least) the object is to get as drunk as possible.

• 3 weeks later...
CW I would like that referral please - thanks in advance!

Here you go:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g152515-d1098515-Reviews-Rissalena_Cruises-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

This is more of a locals thing, they don't get a lot of cruise passengers because it is word of mouth, they don't even have a web site. You can email them for a reservation:

rissacat@prodigy.net.mx

They are a family run operation, speak perfect English, and can't do enough for you. They limit the crowd to 24. The cost is $55/person including an open bar, a full lunch, and a 3 hour tour.

We go out with them everytime we are in Cabo.

• 4 weeks later...