What do you feel are the best ports

bling19572010

"Best" is totally within the eye of the beholder.... Santorini would definitely be high on the list, but not really wheelchair friendly. Rome is also a great port, as is Athens. Kusadasi for Ephesus is also high on the list. But many of the sites in all of these locations are less than friendly for people with mobility challenges.

Indeed "best" is very subjective. There are not that many ports where you just get of the ship and go into town. So be prepared to take a taxi into town. Then you will need to get around in the town. Cobblestones (most old cities), elevation (quite usual in Med cities) and gravel pavements (in the old sites like Olympia of the Athens Agora) will be difficult in a manual wheelchair. So you asked a very good question...

My opinion about Italy: In Naples you will be OK if you stay in town, but not if you are going to Pompeii or Herculaneum. Lucca and Pisa (from Livorno) will be OK in a wheelchair. For Rome you're looking at a long taxi-ride so that wouldn't be my first choice, unless you can stay in Rome pre- of post-cruise. Rome is doable in a wheelchair.

As far as Greece is concerned, you'll want to avoid the tender-ports. We loved Santorini and Mykonos in Greece. But these are tender-ports and the villages are not very wheelchair friendly. If you book a ships tour perhaps you will be OK. In Santorini for example they usually have a tour that tenders you to Oia where you board a bus.

Corfu is doable by wheelchair, even if you want to do it yourself. Katakakolon is OK if you take a tour (or taxi) to Olympia. The site in Olympia however is quite rocky so will be a bit of a challenge.

Athens is a great city. Of course it will be difficult to get up the Akroplolis, but there are more things to do in this great city.

There will probably not be an itinerary that is 100% wheelchair friendly. However I guess that in most ports there are possibilities to enjoy the city and the sights. With the right preparation (i.e. a lot of googling) you will be able to make plans for great DIY-trips. When in doubt, try to book a bus-tour through the cruiseline. Worst case you will end up with one or two ports where it is better to stay on the ship.

You might consider going on a cruise that visits more ports in Spain and France. Barcelona for example is more wheelchair-friendly, as is Marseille (around the old port). In Monaco there are a lot of elevators so that would also be a good option. In general the western med is better in a wheelchair then the eastern med.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions! Please keep the suggestions coming!

Corfu was beautiful just renting a car and driving across the island to Lakunes and some of the surrounding viewpoints.

Santorini was great for viewpoints as well, but, as mentioned, could be an issue with the tender.

For Greece we thought Santorini was by far the best port. It's actually been our favorite port of any cruise we have been on. But as the others said, it may be tough with tendering but I'm sure they have a way for people in wheel chairs to make it easy. As far as Italy, we loved Rome. In my opinion you can't go wrong in Greece and Italy :)

• 1 year later...
Katakakolon is OK if you take a tour (or taxi) to Olympia. The site in Olympia however is quite rocky so will be a bit of a challenge.

Are the ruins at Olympia spread out over a large area? How much walking does it take to see the ruins? Are there many benches or places near the ruins where you could sit down and rest for a few minutes?

Thanks.

Are the ruins at Olympia spread out over a large area? Yes, many acres. How much walking does it take to see the ruins? Could easily be a 2 hour walk. Are there many benches or places near the ruins where you could sit down and rest for a few minutes? A few.

Thanks.

See above.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We have been to many Western and Eastern ports….. Europe is so NOT wheelchair friendly. We took my MIL last trip and while she can walk it is not far and for very long. We took a fold up travel wheelchair and used that in many places. We did not visit ALL of these with her but have been to them and my thought on each are as follows:

Rome - we did a golf cart tour one day for her…… she got to see a lot that way. Couple of hours and guide was charming. Not cheap but she saw things she otherwise would not have. Vatican museums in wheelchair was ok - can't get to much of it due to stairs but she did get to see the Sistine Chapel (the have a wheelchair lift) The cobblestone were a pain in some areas tho.

Santorini - never mind the tender…..the cable car is another obstacle as is the area you walk around in. Cobbles, stairs, steep inclines and on and on…….

Mykonos - not always a tender port. They have a nice dock about 10 minute shuttle ride from Mykonos town. But Mykonos town is not level either….. but some areas would be doable…… harbor area is one.

Naples - Amalfi car ride would be nice but the villages (Amalfi-Positano and Ravello would be challenging)

Istanbul - very doable in a wheelchair. Taxi to historic area and then nice sidewalks etc…..

Kusadasi - Ephesus would be out but the town area is doable.

Crete - doable with a taxi tour. Old harbor area is accessible.

Athens - also some areas would be accessible. Some not so much.

Barcelona - Las Ramblas very doable. Sagadra Familia I believe has wheelchair help.

Livorno - for Pisa and Florence. Pisa easier than Florence.

Corfu - Corfu town is doable….some of the smaller villages might be tricky

Dubrovnik - old town is somewhat doable but no wall tour !

Venice - A bit of work with a wheelchair but we managed. She could get into and out of water taxis with help……

Malta - very doable - private tour was great

Rhodes - also doable to visit the old area

Nice (Villefranche) tender port

Toulon - did a tour to Provence - doable if they offer a wheelchair version

Think I go them all (the ones we have been to) Hope this helps

I have limited mobility and have visited loads of places throughout Europe. In general Greece and Italy are far less accessible than say the UK, Scandinavia, France, Spain etc.

However, many places can be seen, but it would be so much easier if you could give us a proper itinerary that you are considering.

To overcome some of the barriers we rent cars in places. You then have the convenience and flexibility to see what you would really like to see.

I personally think Italy is better doing on a land tour for anybody with a disability. However, many Italian cities are a challenge with a wheelchair.

Last May myself and partner spent 10 days in Crete and had a fabulous time. We stayed in a very nice hotel and had a car for all the time we were there. We were able to see everything that we wanted and the island is very pretty at that time of year.

Another thing to remember is that most of Italy and all of Greece will be very hot, humid and crowded in July and August, so no fun for the wheelchair pusher. Spring and autumn are better months to visit.

I have limited mobility and have visited loads of places throughout Europe. In general Greece and Italy are far less accessible than say the UK, Scandinavia, France, Spain etc.

However, many places can be seen, but it would be so much easier if you could give us a proper itinerary that you are considering.

To overcome some of the barriers we rent cars in places. You then have the convenience and flexibility to see what you would really like to see.

I personally think Italy is better doing on a land tour for anybody with a disability. However, many Italian cities are a challenge with a wheelchair.

Last May myself and partner spent 10 days in Crete and had a fabulous time. We stayed in a very nice hotel and had a car for all the time we were there. We were able to see everything that we wanted and the island is very pretty at that time of year.

Another thing to remember is that most of Italy and all of Greece will be very hot, humid and crowded in July and August, so no fun for the wheelchair pusher. Spring and autumn are better months to visit.

I have limited mobility too. I went on a Western Mediterranean cruise last June and went to Spain, France, Monaco, and Italy. In Rome, I went to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. But there was so much walking involved, I was really exhausted and could barely walk for a whole day afterwards.

I would like to take an Eastern Mediterranean cruise. I don't have an exact itinerary yet, but the places that I'm most interesting in seeing are ancient Olympia, Ephesus, and the House of the Virgin Mary. From what I've read so far, it looks like Olympia and Ephesus would require a lot of walking. But I don't know yet if the House of the Virgin Mary also requires a lot of walking.

kyan

I wrote you a long reply and lost it. I have been to Greece many times but not to Olympia. I have visited Ephesus and think it is unsuitable for anyone with a mobility problem. It is extremely uneven underfoot and is a long way from one end to the other.

if you take a taxi to the Virgin Mary House it will be able to drop you fairly close. it s asphalt underfoot and easy walking. As far as I remember and I have been there a couple of times, there is a step to get into the house. It must be manageable as I got in and out with no problem.

What you have to take into account is that even on a day to day basis Greece and Turkey are not particularly disabled friendly countries. Last year when we were in Crete we visited Knossos. Some of it was accessible, but most of it wasn't.

You will also find difficulties in the street as many places don't have made up roads, no dropped kerbs or pavements. Cars parked in a manner that you can't cross the road. Bars/restaurants with no ground floor toilets, steps at the entrance, no hand rails. There are lots of things to take into consideration. IMHO I would reconsider your cruise destinations. As interesting as these places are, you have to think of the practicalities.

For example, I have always wanted to visit Macchu Pichu. I should have done it when I was young and able. These days it wouldn't be suitable for me.

I'm not trying to totally put you off, but there are so many interesting places to visit in the world, why make life difficult for yourself.

• 4 months later...