Half Moon Cay, wheelchair, and Cabana

bunchesofun

Well everyone has been very helpful in explaining wheelchair at Baltimore, and mobility scooters on the ship. Now I have another question. :)

We are planning on going to Half Moon Cay and will have a collapsible wheelchair for my friend. I understand about how the weather can be somewhat rough and them still tendering but not allowing wheelchair passengers.

I think I read somewhere, can't find it now, about Cabana #1 having a cement path going to it. Is that correct?

Our plan, should we be able to get a cabana, is to get to shore excursions early and rent #1 (if that is the accessible one). Should that not be available, are the other cabanas do-able with the balloon tire wheelchairs they have on site? Our choice would be an alternate cabana, or just sitting in loungers in the sand close to #1. My friend can walk short distances.

Comments and suggestions?

HMC has large, island tenders to get passengers ashore. If there is only one ship there that day, those tenders are the ones you will use. If there are two ships there, the larger ship gets the island tenders.

Those tenders are level with the tender dock on the ship, and have a ramp down to the lower level. That level of the tender is a straight roll off to the island.

Once there, yes, cabana #1 has an entrance from the rear. However, there are steps out the front to get to the sand. There are plenty of chairs on the deck of the cabana itself, but someone would have to walk down the stairs, and walk through the sand to get into the water. I wouldn't recommend that unless they have two people to help them. (I know I will never be able to get into that gorgeous water again :().

You can either get the butler package and have an attendant getting whatever drinks you want, as well as bringing a delicious lunch made to order, or someone can bring things back from the barbeque.

The other cabanas can be accessed via road, but there's a very steep dune to climb down (then later, back up) to get to them. I would not recommend them for someone in a wheelchair.

I don't know if the wheelchair with the balloon tires can be claimed by one person for the day, or is for a single use, then made available for others. You could ask the HAL Access & Compliance unit about that if you can't get an answer here.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I did not know about the steep slope to the beach. So we better either get #1 or sit near there on loungers. She can walk short distances, I think even in sand if someone helps. And a few stairs are not a problem. Just trying to make it the easiest we can for her.

We are going there with Carnival, and I don't think they have butler service unfortunately.

We are going there with Carnival, and I don't think they have butler service unfortunately.

Oops. Sorry, I didn't realize you weren't on HAL. I keep forgetting that Carnival uses the island when it's out of season for HAL.

You can ignore my HAL-specific references, then. But the rest of the info, including the part about the island tenders, is still good.

Have fun there. Possibly the best private beach out there.

Edited by RuthC

• 2 weeks later...

The Taupe Cabana is the one you want to rent if you need accessibility. I use a wheelchair full time and we rented this last November.

There is a brick paver path all the way to the entrance of the cabana. It does have a steep incline. I easily managed it by myself going down, but needed a push to get back up.

One drawback of the cabana is that since it is the first one, many people walk down the paved path thinking it is the path to the beach. At one point I was directing traffic for people coming and going :) When I got tired of that, I pulled a lounger close to the entrance (as the photo below shows) and most people got the message.

My wife and I were cruising with other family members and renting the cabana allowed me to continue to spend time with them while they enjoyed the beach.

There are a couple more photos of the cabana at the end of my gallery that can be seen at the link below.

http://www.pbase.com/510picker/westerdam_november_2015_cruise

original.jpg