Traveling to/from LAX to San Pedro with a scooter

catwoman6226

Hello!

We are cruising on the Star Princess in February 2017, leaving from San Pedro. We will be flying into LAX, and one of us is bringing a scooter. I've searched countless threads and read recommendations for Super Shuttle, Execucar, Prime Time, etc. but am concerned about the fact that we need room for 2 people, enough luggage for a 2-week cruise, and a scooter. It seems to me that we'll need to arrange private transportation from LAX to San Pedro, rather than using a Princess transfer - true?

Also, the next morning we'll need transportation from the hotel (not sure yet if DoubleTree or Crown Plaza) to the port, and would love to hear from anyone who has done this before, and may have suggestions. I will, of course, contact the various vendors, but am hoping to hear first-hand experiences from CC members.

Hello!

We are cruising on the Star Princess in February 2017, leaving from San Pedro. We will be flying into LAX, and one of us is bringing a scooter. I've searched countless threads and read recommendations for Super Shuttle, Execucar, Prime Time, etc. but am concerned about the fact that we need room for 2 people, enough luggage for a 2-week cruise, and a scooter. It seems to me that we'll need to arrange private transportation from LAX to San Pedro, rather than using a Princess transfer - true?

Also, the next morning we'll need transportation from the hotel (not sure yet if DoubleTree or Crown Plaza) to the port, and would love to hear from anyone who has done this before, and may have suggestions. I will, of course, contact the various vendors, but am hoping to hear first-hand experiences from CC members.

Can the individual transfer or does he/she have to remain in the scooter which than would require the vehicle to have a lift ? If the individual can transfer than it would be helpful to know the make and model of the scooter. Reason being if it's a travel size scooter that can be broken down into 4-5 pieces (such as a Pride GoGo) than a standard taxi van could still be an option.

RE: Hotel - If a shuttle is provided and does not have a lift than under ADA Law the hotel has to arrange and pay for accessible transportation for the individual. Note if the shuttle service is free to able bodied guests than the hotel can't charge your friend and the hotel is responsible for the complete cost. If it's a service that Hotel provide for free than the Hotel can only charge your friend what they charge all the other guests for the shuttle and has to absorb the difference in cost for the accessible transportation.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Hello,

Last year I flew into LAX with my scooter and we took the Princess transfer with no problem. I had called the special needs desk and they assured me it would be smooth sailing.

My scooter is a GoGo Pride and the transfer was in a big bus. We folded down the seat and adjusted the tiller and two lift and load guys placed it under the bus. You have to adjust the lock toggle so it won't roll around.

I was able to climb the bus stairs which was slow but we did it!

At the pier I waited until all the people were off the bus and had gotten the luggage and there was my blue scooter ready to go. Be sure to bring your charger and if you have some wait time at the airport you can charge away.

I was on the Crown for 28 days and I also brought my walker and cane. Also had just a little luggage.

On the ship there were wonderful crew members wearing special vests with the wheelchair symbol and they are there to help with all your special needs.

Good luck and enjoy every minute of your cruise. I hope everything goes very well.

4boysnana

About luggage--- Princess has laundry, done by the ship or self. Pack for a week and wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, I know that - but my friend with the scooter brings her entire household with her when she travels - on our last 7 day cruise she had enough clothes for twice that many days, and I can't see her doing anything different for Hawaii. I absolutely plan to do laundry mid-way through, however.

Thanks for the replies - yes, she can walk and transfer without the scooter. She needs it for distance, as she tires easily. We both needed scooters on the Emerald in February, and the staff were very helpful - and yes, we learned to watch for the wonderful people in those vests - but they always saw us coming first and came forward to help.

She has a Go Go Pride elite or something - and insists that she doesn't want to break it down. Hearing that we may be able to fold down the seat and disable the tiller might be our answer.

I'm trying to avoid using the Princess transfer - too many horror stories from people about using them to/from San Pedro, so was hoping to hear from someone who had used one of the shuttle services or private car services.

I'll contact the various vendors and get more information, of course, but thought I might get faster and more varied answers by posting here.

Thanks again!