Currently on AQ

Harley Rdr

We are currently on the AQ going from St Louis to Cincinatti. I have mixed feelings. At the pre-cruise hotel the AQ Welcome Desk was manned by St Louis tour guides, not AQ staff, the day we arrived. The next morning we had to stand in line to get our security pictures taken, for dining table assignments and for shore tours. It seems this could be handled more efficiently than having to wait in 3 different lines. Many people had walkers and canes which made long lines difficult for them.

Cabins are very compact. There are larger cabins not being used. It would be nice if people in lower category cabins had been offered a free upgrade rather than leaving these cabins empty.

All staff have been very friendly and helpfull.

We boarded on Saturday with Monday being the first day I can access the Wi Fi. Our neighbor still cannot access it.

Food in the dining room was good the first night but service was slow. We have first seating and it took 2.5 hours from start to finish. The Front Porch seems to be just as good but more relaxed. It is self-serve so it's much faster.

Calliope is very loud. It was played today while in some locks. The sound echoed off the walls of the locks and many people were plugging their ears.

Annoucements over the PA go into the cabins instead of only on the decks. This means limited napping.

Times are always subject to change. We left one town 3 hours earlier than originally scheduled. Arrived at the next town at least 1 hour early.

There are not a lot of activities offered so this may not be the best option for active people. Age range seems to be 50 and up. There are several people using walkers, canes and oxygen.

Yes, the cabins are compact but this is clearly shown both in the literature and on the website. It has been mentioned on this site on several occasions as well.

As for upgrading, I think they adjust staffing levels depending on the passenger count for particular sailings, so maybe no attendants are available for those areas. We were upgraded once from the lowest price verandah to a larger one, but that was well before the cruise and I think they could resell our space but could not get people to pay more. We were repeat customers, so I think that is why we got upgraded.

You are right, not much in the way of activities, but since at least half of most days you can be ashore, that was fine with us.

Back home now. For what it's worth, here are my feelings on the cruise.

I still feel the check in at the pre-cruise hotel could be streamlined. Having to stand in 3 different queues seems excessive.

As stated by LDVinNC the cabin size is clearly shown on the website and literature. However, seeing it on a website and knowing it will be small is different from actually walking into it. It just took a few times of bumping into each other before we started standing still so the other person could go to the closet or into the bathroom.

The beds were narrow but comfortable. Even my thin Mother could not just roll over without almost falling off her bed.

Larger cabins at the back of the boat were not filled because they had all the furniture and carpet removed during the trip. It looks like they are being repaired and new carpet will be put down.

Food was good in the dining room and on the front porch. Dining room service remained slow but it gave us time to talk to table mates between courses. Wine glasses during supper were frequently refilled without having to ask. Servers, like all other staff, were friendly and happily helped with special requests. The 24 hour soft serve ice cream machine was heavily used.

Included side trips and hop on/hop off buses are great. These are good ways to see more of the countryside and towns.

Unlike the ocean cruises I have been on, the passengers are very social. Everyone seems to at least say hello to everyone else. We had many wonderful conversations with people from all over the US.

There are a few improvements that could be made and it may not be suitable for people who need to have 24/7 activities available. But, this is a great cruise and a wonderful way to see part of the USA.

We are currently on the AQ on the way to St Louis. I am a very experienced cruiser both ocean and European river, cruising many middle to high end lines. This is my first American river cruise.

I have read this forum concerning the AQ and agree with most of the positive comments.

We flew into Cincinnati the day of departure arriving at 11am. A fixed $30 cab fare plus tip took us directly to the Hilton. By the time we registered with AQ, there was no line and were through by noon then went to lunch downtown. We boarded the bus at the Hilton as scheduled at 3pm and arrived at the AQ 15 minutes later. Boarding was easy and only slowed down by slow passengers.

Most guest rooms had new carpet and they were still working on laying carpet on the entire starboard side of deck 5. Those rooms are apparently sailing empty.

Our room on the port side of deck 5 seems to have new carpet and feels fresh yet the furniture is a little worn. No peeling wall paper, paint, etc. as previously posted by others. Bedding is nice and bed size is adequate and comfortable. Bathroom was clean and shower water pressure good. The look of the entire ship is fresh and good. This is not a brand new ship and you can not expect everything to look perfect.

The staff has been extremely friendly and accommodating.

The food has ranged from very good to excellent. Portions are a little small but staff will bring extra if asked. We have chosen the main dining room for both dinners and although slow as previously posted, service was acceptable. Service so far has been average to good, but not great. Again, what I expected from reading prior posts.

Shows have been good and what I expected on a ship this size.

We are only on our second day, but I am pleasantly surprised with the whole experience after reading some of the prior negative posts.

I will try to answer questions and post again in a few days.

...Annoucements over the PA go into the cabins instead of only on the decks. This means limited napping....

There was a volume control in our cabin that turned the announcements down (or off). If I recall, it was at the side of the headboard.

• 2 weeks later...
Have booked another cruise on AQ leaving Nashville on October 25. Will make sure to turn down the volume.

From Nashville to Chattanooga it's a very scenic trip with loads of Civil War history around every bend. You'll be traveling on the Cumberland, Ohio and Tennessee Rivers and visit two states. I think that you will enjoy that trip. TVA's Wilson Lock at Mussel Shoals the lift is greater than the boat is tall with her stacks down. When you steam in the AMERICAN QUEEN will be surrounded by three walls of concrete around you and the lock's open gates behind. It's almost surreal!

My advice is to wait till the crowd has gone down when you check in. Last trip I was on I breezed through those formalities. Of course I didn't want first seating, which is normally the busier of the two seatings, so if your seating time is important you might want to disregard that advice. Also the boat will b operating on Central Time until Chattanooga which is on the cusp of the Eastern Time Zone.

Thanks for the info. I'm in Iowa (about 40 miles west of Davenport) so staying on central time will be nice. So far AQ is not offering a Nashville pre-cruise tour on their website. Does anyone know if one will be offered or if it would be better to book one from a tour company? Husband has not been to Nashville and would like to see some of it.

I used a TA to book this trip. She was told the hotel will be at the airport. Any ideas which one?

Thanks for the info. I'm in Iowa (about 40 miles west of Davenport) so staying on central time will be nice. So far AQ is not offering a Nashville pre-cruise tour on their website. Does anyone know if one will be offered or if it would be better to book one from a tour company? Husband has not been to Nashville and would like to see some of it.

I used a TA to book this trip. She was told the hotel will be at the airport. Any ideas which one?

I would check with your TA to find out which hotel you are staying at before your trip. If it is an agreeable hotel, I would book another night or two in the same category of room that the boat will pay for so you can keep the same room. Let the hotel know what you are planning on doing before checking in. That's what I'm doing before my next AQ cruise out of Nw Orleans. From that hotel you could arrange a Gray Line tour or something similar. It probably would cost a lot less going about it this way than going through the cruise line.