Seattle SeaFair 2017

Smithkids5521

So we will be in Seattle pre cruise the weekend of August 5th- and as luck would have it, this is also the final weekend of Seafair.

Can any Seattle natives give any tips or advice? I understand to expect heavy crowds, but are there any activities held during Seafair that are not to be missed? (Schedule has not been released as of yet)

I see that the Blue Angels will be there- and while they are fantastic and we will probably try to watch them, this isn't a must do for us (we're from Baltimore and see them quite often- they were buzzing around my office rattling my windows just a couple of months ago during Fleet Week). But if we do want to catch a glimpse- were would be best vantage point? Sky View? What about Smith Tower? (I love the funky old time vibe they have going on over at Smith Tower- with the old time elevator ;))

TIA

Seafair is mainly a locals' event; it's not like too many people travel to Seattle to attend. The last weekend ("Seafair weekend") is mainly about the hydroplane races on Lake Washington and the air show which features the Blues along with other performances - antique planes, etc.

The airshow takes place over Lake Washington on the east side of the city (most of the tourist areas are on the west side.) The main impact it all has on the city is a lot of unhappy dogs (mine included) while the jets zoom overhead, and the I-90 floating bridge between Seattle and Mercer Island is closed during the show. From downtown you will see and hear the Blues while they circle to get back to the north-south axis of the lake, but the city's hills block the direct view of the show space itself.

There are bleachers where you can reserve a seat to watch the hydros, but unless you're really into the "thunder boats" it's probably an event you can pass. Traffic and crowds along the lakeshore are hellish before and after the goings-on.

The Blue Angels use the Museum of Flight as their base while in town. If you were planning to visit the MoF anyway (and you really should) then visiting it while they're here can be a lot of fun. The parking area gets pretty crowded on the weekend days when the airshow is going. http://museumofflight.org/