Orient Beach and hurricane Gonzalo

RickOnt

We were in St Martin for the day on November 5th and the island cleaned up very well after Hurricane Gonzalo. Basically only saw only a few boats still grounded on the French side. Did not see much evidence of any hurricane damage anywhere else on the island. We took Bernard's tours and went to Orient Beach, Marigot and Maho Beach.

On Orient Beach I walked along the beach checking out the beach bars, walked to Coco, Waikiki, Bikini Beach, La Playa, Kakao and Kontiki . All beach bars were operational with chairs and umbrellas. Saw hardly any evidence of damage to those beach bars, compared to pictures I saw after the storm of Orient Beach. I did not walk down to Orange Fever or Pedro's but was advised that Pedro's was opened. They was quite a bit of seaweed on the beach that day and somewhat less in the water. The water on Orient was pretty calm the day we were there and very refreshing, did not want to leave Orient.

Marigot and Maho looked fine and saw no evidence of any hurricane damage.

The island was very proactive in their clean up process after the Hurricane.

How is the recovery/cleanup progressing?

Are the restaurants and bars reopened?

Thanks

I was at Orient Beach on Wednesday, Nov 15th, everything from LeString, KonTiki on down the beach was fine. Pedro's, Orange Fever,Cheryl & Andy's are open, but got a lot of property damage. Their beach area is gone. Their is a lot of seaweed on the beach. Six ships in port & the beach was half empty. I think that everyone thinks the whole area was wrecked. Not So!

We were at KonTiki & had a great day. Orient Beach is still kicking!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jcg4550

We've heard that the beach in front of Pedro's is completely gone due to the hurricane. Has anyone been there to confirm this? Usually when we take a taxi to Orient Beach, we're dropped off at Pedro's and rent chairs and an umbrella right there at the beginning of the nude beach.

Is the beach in this area still available for sunbathing?

Edited by fcatlanta

I was there last Wednesday & the beach in front of Pedro's was gone. The taxi dropped us off at LeString. I walked up to Pedro's & the beach area where the large out cropping of rocks is located and water over my knees at noon. Hope that helps. The beach is gone!! Head past LeString if you want more beach. See my post above.

Edited by jcg4550

I was there last Wednesday & the beach in front of Pedro's was gone. The taxi dropped us off at LeString. I walked up to Pedro's & the beach area where the large out cropping of rocks is located and water over my knees at noon. Hope that helps. The beach is gone!! Head past LeString if you want more beach. See my post above.

Le String is where we usually go, it seems to have fair prices for loungers, a bathroom and shower, plus the old owner Ray was a great guy in spite of being a Raven's fan ;-)

We were at Orient Beach on 11/17. We went all the way to the other end to Palm Beach. They had a lot of damage from the hurricane, but were operational and in the middle of rebuilding (they expected to be finished mid-December). We had an amazing day there. So worth the extra cab fare.