Group snorkeling with kids

melinda0222

Yes I realize there are several threads on snorkeling. I have read many of them, but it has gotten overwhelming. So I thought I would see if people have recommendations for my situation. We are a big group cruising together on RCCL Independence Feb 2016. There is a group of approx. 15 people who want to snorkel in Belize. We want a private charter. We want to snorkel with our group only. In addition we will have kids with us. Kids ages start at 7 and the kids have never been snorkeling before. We would like to see colorful fish, turtles, coral. I don't think we want to snorkel from the beach, due to the lack of marine life. Can anyone recommend a company and a location. I have a company in mind, but I don't want to sway anyone's opinion. Thanks again

I don't have a recommendation...just a warning.

If you plan to do only offshore snorkeling (ie from a boat), be aware that there will likely be a current with anywhere from mild to moderate waves and anywhere from a light breeze to crazy wind. Couple these together, and the kids in your group may be a little too freaked out to enjoy the adventure. My youngest is a strong, confident swimmer (then age 7). She was excited to go...but once we got in the water, everything was "wrong" - her mask, the fins, the water, the waves. After about 5 minutes, we gave up and ended up sitting on the boat watching everyone else. Fast forward...the rest of the day was spent on the beach and she tried snorkeling again from shore and this time had a great time...still talks about that experience to this day. This all happened at Goff's Cay...which I highly recommend. Sweet little island in the middle of the ocean...very near the reef. Most tours offer both a boat snorkel as well as snorkeling from the island.

And, I experienced some motion-sickness during the very brief time in the water (off shore). I didn't expect that and wasn't prepared.

Hope you have an amazing cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes I realize there are several threads on snorkeling. I have read many of them, but it has gotten overwhelming. So I thought I would see if people have recommendations for my situation. We are a big group cruising together on RCCL Independence Feb 2016. There is a group of approx. 15 people who want to snorkel in Belize. We want a private charter. We want to snorkel with our group only. In addition we will have kids with us. Kids ages start at 7 and the kids have never been snorkeling before. We would like to see colorful fish, turtles, coral. I don't think we want to snorkel from the beach, due to the lack of marine life. Can anyone recommend a company and a location. I have a company in mind, but I don't want to sway anyone's opinion. Thanks again

I would not snorkel in here, based on your group description. Any decent snorkeling is off shore, in deep water that is often murky because of stirred up sand. In addition there is usually a nice chop that is very frustrating to experience snorkelers, and impossible to over come for the inexperienced.

If you are going to Roatan that is where you ant to snorkel, specifically from somewhere on the west end of the island. The reef is no more than 50 feet off shore, the water is calm, and wildlife is abundant.

I would not snorkel in here, based on your group description. Any decent snorkeling is off shore, in deep water that is often murky because of stirred up sand. In addition there is usually a nice chop that is very frustrating to experience snorkelers, and impossible to over come for the inexperienced.

If you are going to Roatan that is where you ant to snorkel, specifically from somewhere on the west end of the island. The reef is no more than 50 feet off shore, the water is calm, and wildlife is abundant.

Belize has the BEST Snorkeling. The water NEAR the shore is murky but the water OFF shore surrounding the Islands are NOT. Not all waters are deep, there are areas around Goff's Caye, Bannister Island, Sergeant's Caye just to name a few that the water is pretty shallow. I have snorkeled at many locations in Belize and the water is always clear UNLESS, there is a bad weather approaching.

They are known for having the largest living Barrier Reef, if there's one place you'd want to Snorkel, Belize should be #1`place on the list.