St. Maarten Water Taxi

kyriecat

I saw a post recently that said the water taxi from the pier to Philipsburg in St. Maarten was accessible now. I know when my mom and I were there in January 2010 that it was not. Passengers had to climb down a step or two to board. Can anyone confirm whether that is still the case? My mom uses a wheelchair and cannot climb stairs.

Thanks, gotmilk. I thought that was the case. Disabilities vary so much that some people think that having a step or two counts as accessible. For some disabilities, a step or two is fine, but not for my mom. :( I guess we'll look at a car taxi or hoof-it to town.

Does anyone know whether the sidewalk from the pier to town is complete? When we were there a couple of years ago, the sidewalk was dug up due to construction and they were directing walkers across a grassy field. My mom's wheelchair isn't designed for off-road use so we took a car.

My wife uses a transport chair and we did not have a problem walking from the dock to town. From what I remember, there were one or two areas that were a bit rough but not really a problem. It is easily doable.

sdschwrt,

How long ago were you there? A few rough patches doesn't sound bad. Besides me, I'll have my dad and aunt so they can help if we run into a few bumps. Do you remember how long the walk took you? It seems like my husband and I walked to town a few years ago and it took about 10 minutes.

I appreciate all the information! :)

Did this in March '11 -- about a 15 minute walk -- all sidewalk, some shade. As soon as possible, go to the left to get on the boardwalk -- otherwise sidewalk does end and scooter must go out into the street. Boardwalk fine, then take right to the shops -- sometimes narrow sidewalks (with trees) -- but doable. Vicki

We were there this past December. Would guess the walk was ten to fifteen minutes but it is a pleasant walk. You leave the terminal parking lot and turn left. It follows the road and as you get to the shopping area it runs close to the road with a guardrail. I believe there are signs for the entrance to the downtown area. The one area of caution is that near where you exit the cruise terminal, there are a number of curved sidewalk depressions, continuous pavement with sidewalk and maybe six to 10 inches at the low point, that I believe are for water drainage. You do not simply want to push the chair down the side as the footrests may bottom out. Lean the chair back so you go down on the back wheels and the front wheels will contact the other side to go up. Is probably easier than it sounds from the poor description.

Archived