Alternatives to Athens

RJHNorthyorks

We will be in Piraeus in early September on Celebrity Reflection for 12 hours. We don't want to go into Athens and are looking for alternative things to do. We've previously visited Corinth and the canal

I wonder if anyone can suggest other places to visit please? We have considered either Aegina or Poros. I wonder if anyone as visited either of these islands? Any advice will be appreciated.

Between the two i 'd probably pick Aegina, not Poros.

Aegina is much closer to Piraeus and more to see.

Reach Aegina: Since you are a bit in a hurry, take one of the faster dolphins. Line is operated by flying dolphins and catamarans ( faster, more expensive, around 35' ), and normal ferries ( slower, less expensive, nearly half the price, around 65', i like this more since they are more quiet, relaxing and, well. . .the lazy way to do it , but, hey, you are a bit in a hurry )

What to do: I 'd pick one of the taxi drivers at Aegina port, arranging them to take me to Afaia Temple. That's an Athena Classical Temple, shown here: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/7864130.jpg and in the site you also get a small museum. Taxi will wait you for let's say 30 minutes, then it 'll take you to Ag. Nektarios Monastery and then they 'll take you to some beach near the town. This usually works around 40 euros for a vehicle, so if it's 4 people will be only 10 euros per person. Beaches have some facilities like cafeteriasor small snack places with seating areas, so you can swim and then have a snack. Then you 'll call another taxi to get you back, usually costs around 8 euros for the ride. So, total taxi expense is around 12 euros per person if it's 4 people.

Returning at Aegina Town, spend some time walking at the port, shop the local souvenirs ( pistacchios ), go wild a bit on some pastry shop ( local delicacies are great and offer millions of calories ) and then go back to get the dolphin or ferry back to Piraeus.

Walk from cruise ship docks to where Aegina ferries leave from is appx. 25 - 30 minutes on a brisk walk. Departures to Aegina are often, i 'd say 8 - 12 per day in September, allow ample time to return and be back at cruise ship. I 'd focus on getting a flying dolphin back, ***at least*** 2 hours before the time i 'd have to back on the cruise ship. I am overanxious, so i 'dmake it 3 hours, but i assume most Greeks are more relaxed than me.

So, for a 12 hours stay, you get around 6 hours on the island which is not that bad and will allow you to do all in the list.

Edited by nick_arch

Thanks Nick. We're thinking we might try this when ferry timetable is published and we can make sure the timings work. Like you I like to be back early!

We went to AEgina as well. The hydro leaves at 8:50 or 9am, then there's a 3pm back. We got back to the ship at 4. I think we were docked (X, Equinox) until 6. Wished it was later--would have liked to have gone to Hydra instead....Aegina is cute, quiet and quaint. A nice respite from Athens and Pireaus.

Agree with Nick. Aegina is close enough to work for a port day. It is a relatively quiet island known for their Pistachio nuts (they sell them everywhere). There is also a small beach within walking distance of the ferry pier and a few restaurants along the water where you can relax with lunch and watch the ferry pier :).

Another option is to just rent a car in Pireaus and drive down to Cape Sounion. If you like ocean swimming there are a few beaches along the road (no place to change) where you can take a dip in the warm sea.

Hank