Alaska Cruise...which is better?

Lance'sBride

We are planning a cruise to Alaska, we have cruised many times but always to the Caribbean. So, I have a question for any Alaska cruise experts!

Our schedule has us limited to two options, both are similar with only a couple differences. The first sails August 18 and goes through Tracy Arm Fjord, the second sails September 1 and goes through Glacier Bay. I have heard Glacier Bay is great, but August weather is better. So, which would you choose?

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lance'sBride

Depending on what line you go with there are some that include add on tours for Tracy Arm in a smaller vessel that has a much better chance of seeing the glaciers. Large cruise ships are only able to get close enough in Tracy Arm to see the glaciers about 25% of the time. Other than that Tracy Arm is gorgeous. You’ll have an almost 100% chance of seeing and getting closer to several glaciers in Glacier Bay. Even though the weather can get rainier as you head towards the fall months and there is also less light, if glaciers are your priority, Glacier Bay might be a better choice. You can also post this on the Alaska board and will get many responses.

I think it's less about the time frame and more about what you want to experience.