Activity Level on Galapagos Cruise

Ok, this may be a strange question, but it's about my husbands main concern with the cruise we are considering. We love active vacations. We also love nature and learning, and the Galapogos cruise seems like an amazing opportunity. But, to give some context, we spend vacations bicycling 4 or 5 hours a day or going on full day hikes. When he hears "cruise" even "expedition cruise" he's afraid its going to be very sedentary.

What is the opportunity for sustained activity (like long hikes, or paddling, or swimming, or even working out on ship) that the Lindblad cruise will provide. I'll have a very unhappy DH if its mostly lectures and "strolls" more than hikes.

Ok, this may be a strange question, but it's about my husbands main concern with the cruise we are considering. We love active vacations. We also love nature and learning, and the Galapogos cruise seems like an amazing opportunity. But, to give some context, we spend vacations bicycling 4 or 5 hours a day or going on full day hikes. When he hears "cruise" even "expedition cruise" he's afraid its going to be very sedentary.

What is the opportunity for sustained activity (like long hikes, or paddling, or swimming, or even working out on ship) that the Lindblad cruise will provide. I'll have a very unhappy DH if its mostly lectures and "strolls" more than hikes.

I can't help you with Lindblad specifically, but I recently spent 14 nights on the Beagle in the Galapagos, doing all of the islands that Lindblad visit and a lot more. The islands are now so regulated as a national park that even the 'long hikes' are no more than 2 hours and more a stroll than a hike. You can no longer hike up to the volcano on Sombrero Chino, for example.

On the Beagle we usually did three activities a day - a morning island visit that might have been a 2 hour walk up to a viewpoint and back, at a pretty slow pace, a snorkelling session, and an afternoon island visit.

I found the activity level pretty easy, to the point where I was swimming back to the ship rather than getting into the panga after the snorkelling sessions, for some extra exercise.

There is a thread on this board with a link to my website blog that has a day by day update on what we covered, or click through via the website link below.

Cheers

Just one word of caution. Taking a hike in the Galapagos would be like taking a hike through the Louvre - too many things to see - too many fascinating things to learn about. You might plan to elevate your pulse rate on the treadmill before starting your exploration of one of the earth's natural marvels.

Another opinion. We were recently on the Islander, so I can't speak to the Natl Geo/Lindblad larger ship. Also, this was a younger group so the intense activity level might have been more oriented to the travelers. Two hikes daily ranging from 2 to 4 hours. Swimming off the zodiacs for about 90 minutes daily or as weather permitted. Our walks were over lava with uneven trails and many obstacles. Darwin center and and one walk was easy.

If you call Lindblad for any info and say "cruise", as I did, they will immediately tell you it is not a cruise but an adventure tour. Note that there are only about 3 published room pictures on the web for the Islander . .. reason given is that it's not a cruise. I would not recommend the Islander if expectation is for a cruise.

You will not be bored! We took this trip a few years ago and loved it. One day they was an activity (hike) BEFORE breakfast. The snorkeling is fantastic! There are at least 2 excursions a day usually using Zodiacs. Dressing for dinner means putting on a shirt and slacks. After dinner entertainment is minimal; most people are exausted! I would do this trip with Lindblad again in a minute. It is a terrific organization; we will be going to Alaska with them this summer for our 3rd Lindblad trip. There have been delightful children on both of our previous trips, but none as young as three years old.

Janet

When are you going this summer? - we will be taking 2 Grandsons on the 7/30 departure - Sea Lion out of Juneau. We took 2 other grandsons to Alaska in 2009 - it was great!

Ted

The reposition of the ship back to Seattle the end of August-September. Really looking forward to the trip! Enjoy your time with your Grandsons!

Archived