rail trip

bballm

We are looking at a train ride from Fairbanks to Anchorage before our cruise. Which is better to travel on the Goldstar Dome or the Adventure class. This is our first trip and may be the only time we see Alaska. We are looking for any advice you can give us.

You may have seen this information on the Alaska Railroad site comparing the two. About half way down this page.

http://alaskarailroad.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/298/Default.aspx

Regardless of the class, it is a very long trip. The scenery is nice, particularly if Mt McKinley is out although it’s only visible about ¼ of the time. The only way we would do this is with a two day stop in Denali. Driving is very easy in Alaska and gives much more flexibility if you can consider this.

I haven't taken the train but I've driven that stretch several times. The train tracks parallel the road. IMHO, it's not particularly scenic; just a lot of trees so I don't know why the domed car would be a big advantage. I wouldn't pay extra for goldstar.

The Anchorage - Seward leg is apparently the most scenic route. That's the leg I might splurge for goldstar.

Look in the STICKY above for 2014 trip reports. MVPinBoynton has a photojournal which includes train travel for one portion of the trip. There's a photo of an outdoor viewing area .... if you're really enamored with the scenery this would give you full access for photography.

Edited by mapleleaves