Trip to Pisa

SmithieNix

• 3 weeks later...
Further to my earlier post one probable cheap method of getting to Pisa from Livorno is as follows:

Taken from Trip Advisor:

The ship's tour was extortionate. We did use the ship's shuttle to get to Livorno town ($8) then a 1euro bus ride on the number 1 bus from the square to the train staion, the train ride was 1.70Euro in each direction.Train tickets were easy to purchase from automated machines , no need to worry about language problems and the trains were regular.A 90 cent bus ride completed the journey from PIsa station to the tower. Then you just did the reverse.

The distance is 31.6 kms but contrary to my earlier post I think a taxi will be expensive - around 120euros according to one post I read but you can of course share with other trippers but the advice to get to Livorno first by the ship's bus (which will probably be free) is probably the best way to go as you won't know where in the very large port the cruise will dock.

We have just returned from the Oceana... We had an excellent time. We did Pisa by ourselves following the tips above (thanks whoops). The shuttle from the ship into Livorno is free and runs regularly. We took the Number 1 bus to the train station and then a train into Pisa. You can walk or take a taxi (only about 10 Euros) from the station to The Field of Miracles. If you are doing it on your own, I highly recommend going up the tower. We booked that in advance on the Internet. It was a really unique experience. There is no danger of you not being back at the ship in time.... It doesn't leave Livorno until 11pm! Allow plenty of time to get to Pisa, as the station can be busy. We left the ship at 11am with a Tower visit booked for 1pm.... We just made it! I would recommend leaving the ship at 10am or booking the Tower for 2pm. :)

If it's a busy time, you might need to pre-book your tower ticket. It can, I'm told, be booked up for the whole day before you get there.

Yes. We booked a couple of weeks before and selected a time slot. By the time we arrived at the Tower (1pm) people who were trying to get tickets that day were being given times of 5pm or later!