Any beach snorkeling worthwhile at St Maarten?

MiMiT

We have been to St Maarten one time and did a disappointing snorkel excursion. This time in early April we plan a beach day, but don't know which beach we want to try. Is there decent snorkeling at any of the beaches there? Or is snorkeling just not that good on the island? We are avid snorkelers with our own gear.

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to St. Martin twice, and are avid snorkelers with or own gear. Pinel Island is the best spot. Check out the other posts on it. You will need to catch a ferry to get there. But it is worth it.

Where did you find great snorkelling at Pinel? What did you see? Thanks

When the ferry docks, if you are standing on the pier looking at the island, look to your right. follow the beach off to the right and you will run into a trail. Follow this trail up and away from the beach to the other side of the point of land to the right. You will come to a beach on the other side of the point. There you will see a rope with buoys on it that goes out and around that point. This is a part of the reef that has been protected. Snorkel out along this rope and follow it around the point. The water on this side of the point is not as protected as the swimming beach side, so the water is not calm. However if you have any experience with snorkeling, and are comfortable in the water you will be fine. My son did this with me both times and he was 14 or so the first time, and had no problems. The visibility is good and there are a lot of corrals, sponges, Conchs, and fish of all varieties. Both times we went we were the only ship in port. Getting a taxi to and from was not a problem. However leave early to make sure you have time to get back to the ship.

When the ferry docks, if you are standing on the pier looking at the island, look to your right. follow the beach off to the right and you will run into a trail. Follow this trail up and away from the beach to the other side of the point of land to the right. You will come to a beach on the other side of the point. There you will see a rope with buoys on it that goes out and around that point. This is a part of the reef that has been protected. Snorkel out along this rope and follow it around the point. The water on this side of the point is not as protected as the swimming beach side, so the water is not calm. However if you have any experience with snorkeling, and are comfortable in the water you will be fine. My son did this with me both times and he was 14 or so the first time, and had no problems. The visibility is good and there are a lot of corrals, sponges, Conchs, and fish of all varieties. Both times we went we were the only ship in port. Getting a taxi to and from was not a problem. However leave early to make sure you have time to get back to the ship.

What is the earliest ferry to the Island? Thanks for the excellent instructions above !

Thanks. I will give it a try in May.:)