Birthday dinner in Milan

Ladydee

We have only one night in Milan, and it happens to be my daughter's 18th birthday. I am looking for a nice upscale dinner for the four of us, and I would prefer to stay under $400 "if possible." I would say that for this particular night, the ambiance would be the most important criteria, and then the food (though I cringe as I type that!).

I like a more traditional feel, cozy lighting, not too loud, etc. Also, my husband does not plan on packing a suit for this trip, so nothing with that level of required dress, please.

Thanks so much!

I'll recommend to you this: go to the chowhound website (add "www." and ".com") and look at the Italy board. Do a search first for Milan and see what comes up. Then, ask your question. There are plenty of good 'hounders on that site who will help you our! I've received several great recommendations from that board for places all around the world.

I can help with a spot for drinks pre-dinner! We just returned from Milan and stayed at the Boscolo Milan Hotel - they have a beautiful rooftop patio with the most amazing view of the Duomo. Check out their website, and reviews on tripadvisor. We couldn't have drinks there even as guests, we arrived at 7 and although the bar was empty, they said they were totally booked with reservations. So if you stop in be sure to reserve ahead of time. We ate dinner at a smaller restaurant called Paper Moon - 2 blocks from our hotel. It was in an upscale district, and definitely not a tourist restaurant. I wouldn't classify it as an upscale restaurant, although DH thought he was a bit underdressed (but they let us in). It was nearly completely booked with reservations - except for our table! The food was incredible. I had a simple dish of pasta bolognaise....mmmm, wish I could go back! You can find a ton of restaurants on Tripadvisor - that's where I found Paper Moon - and get a great description of restaurants and food!