Is this doable? Waitangi Treat Grounds and Russell

Hi

We are thinking we would like to do the Waitangi Treaty Grounds full deal, with guide and cultural show in the morning and then take the ferry to Russell in the afternoon.

Is this doable? Can you tell me how much the ferry is?

Hi Crusingfamily

Yes it is doable

Here is a link which should provide answers to all your questions

http://www.dolphincruises.co.nz/visitor-information/ferry-timetable/

Return fares are $12 adults and the trip takes 15 minutes.

I think most cruise lines provide a shuttle between Waitangi and Paihia, which should be quicker than walking, which I think is about 25 mins.

I see this ferry does one stop at Waitangi at 3pm each day - on request. Obviously it will all depend on how long you are in port etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Russell is a quaint little place full of cafés and food places... Lovely little shops...

I concur with the above, but not with the last few words:

...but not much else, worth a look tho

There is a lot of history associated with Kororareka / Russell as well as the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. In Russell, other things that were of interest to us during a recent visit included the Russell Museum, Christ Church (oldest extant church in N.Z.) and the associated cemetery, and the Pompallier Mission. We spent a full day in Russell, and could have spent more time there if our schedule had allowed.

Though it would be possible to visit both the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and Russell during a one-day port visit, that would allow only a fairly quick overview. It would be good to plan your time carefully if you decide to go to both places and want to see as many of the sights as possible. This would be especially true if you have a particular interest in the early history of the European settlement of N.Z. and in Maori - European interactions during that time.

John

Edited by J-D

• 2 weeks later...
I concur with the above, but not with the last few words:

There is a lot of history associated with Kororareka / Russell as well as the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. In Russell, other things that were of interest to us during a recent visit included the Russell Museum, Christ Church (oldest extant church in N.Z.) and the associated cemetery, and the Pompallier Mission. We spent a full day in Russell, and could have spent more time there if our schedule had allowed.

Though it would be possible to visit both the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and Russell during a one-day port visit, that would allow only a fairly quick overview. It would be good to plan your time carefully if you decide to go to both places and want to see as many of the sights as possible. This would be especially true if you have a particular interest in the early history of the European settlement of N.Z. and in Maori - European interactions during that time.

John

Thank you!