Piraeus excursion but not Athens

Mrs Miggins

We will start an Azamara cruise in Athens in May with an overnight and late departure. We will revisit the sites (staying at The Hilton) but we have been to Athens several times before.

In September we will be on Viking Sea and have a port stop in Piraeus. We will probably not go into Athens again so wonder if anyone can suggest an alternative trip for a few hours, probably DIY, rather than an expensive tour. Have looked on the Piraeus tourist information sites but didnt find anything apart from the Archeological Museum. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My DH would love a day onboard - but I will definitely want to stretch my legs.

Having been already at the sites, you may indeed want to explore a bit of Piraeus.

In fact, you could actually combine the two, meaning a short diy-tour in Piraeus and some of the day on board to keep everyone happy.

What i 'd visit in Piraeus would indeed be the Piraeus Arch. Museum and then wlk further to reach other side of the peninsula at Marina Zeas / Pasalimani, wher ei 'd find somewehre to grab a coffee, relax watching the yachts, perhaps dine. Then walk back to the cruise ship.

It's not an extremely long walk. Depending the dock of your ship it's appx. 1 mile each way, so i't spretty doable.

Map here: https://goo.gl/maps/mLNk8UYYSyk

Marina Zeas: https://www.google.com/search?q=marina+zeas&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=994&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinmJv-xrDKAhVJ1iwKHe2MArwQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1

The bay area and the Marina towards the South is a pretty nice area. . . walking it from side to side does take time. . . still as you can see at the map it's a pretty straight line walk from docks to this area through Piraeus and along the street where the Museum is actually on.