Chair and Umbrella "repossessions" on public beach near Calico Jacks

pcdaddy

My family and I were on GC last week with the Carnival Breeze. My wife and daughter caught some beach time after the Turtle Farm and went to the public beach right near Calico Jacks. While they were there, others on the beach were complaining and swapping stories about a local named "Tony" who was trying to take back beach chairs and umbrellas while people were using them! Apparently he'd then rent them to someone else, and pocket the cash. (He could have a great career as a politician.)

Sure enough, later in the afternoon a gentleman approached my wife and asked her where she had gotten her beach chairs, because he said "those are my chairs". Well, my wife laid some New Jersey on him, and he stumbled away shortly thereafter, both shocked and awed. The manager of the rental agency came by a bit later to apologize, having heard of the incident. He acknowledged that "Tony" is a problem, but disavowed any association with him.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? I have my suspicions, as it seems to me that this is a pretty lucrative (and cash-based) business, and I would think that if you had somebody stepping on your toes like this, he could be convinced to try his luck elsewhere. Otherwise, could this be an "alternate revenue stream" to the renting agencies? Sort of a re-renting service?