20 hour lay-over in Paris. Where to stay, what to do?

southerngirl8

Hi all. I will just booked my flight this week for my May 24, 2016 Med. Cruise on the new Carnival Vista. I will be meeting friends and family in Athens and Departing in Barcelona. I got a smoking hot deal on a flight from Barcelona to Vancouver with a 20 hour,over night, layover in Paris. So I could not pass it up. I will be traveling alone, which I have not problem with. I have traveled abroad alone before. I have been to Paris in the past (30 years ago) and could use some suggestions on a place to stay since I will be there overnight. I land at 2:30ish pm and take off the next morning at 10:45 am. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all. I will just booked my flight this week for my May 24, 2016 Med. Cruise on the new Carnival Vista. I will be meeting friends and family in Athens and Departing in Barcelona. I got a smoking hot deal on a flight from Barcelona to Vancouver with a 20 hour,over night, layover in Paris. So I could not pass it up. I will be traveling alone, which I have not problem with. I have traveled abroad alone before. I have been to Paris in the past (30 years ago) and could use some suggestions on a place to stay since I will be there overnight. I land at 2:30ish pm and take off the next morning at 10:45 am. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That is tough. So lets analyze your hours in Pairs. Assume you land on time (a bold assumption these days) at 2:30pm. So you would generally get through the authorities and have your luggage around 3:30. At that point if you go into the city and by the time you get to any hotel it will be after 4pm (and this is assuming everything works well). You check-in, go to your room, freshen-up and now it is probably close to 5pm! So if you really want to see or do anything you had best be staying close to what you want to see and do! And then in the morning you will need to be heading back to the airport quite early so this will not a useful day other then grabbing an early breakfast.

So given that scenario you need to consider your priority for Paris. In your situation we might even consider staying at an airport hotel and perhaps taking the RER into Paris for the evening.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Is your luggage going to be checked through to Vancouver? If so, your time getting out of the airport will not be that late.

I'd say take the RER train into Paris, walk a few blocks from the station to a hotel in Saint Germain-de-Pres (I like Hotel Des Academies et des Arts). From there, you can easily walk to cafes, Luxembourg Park, and the many great restaurants in Montparnasse (for ex, you could make a reservation for Le Dome just a couple of blocks from that hotel), or get the Metro from a stop that is right there as well, and head over to Notre Dame and or to the Eiffel Tower at sunset.

In the morning, have the hotel call a taxi to the airport.

There is no way I'd stay in an airport hotel and not have a great evening in that city.

Edited by Chloe1500

Is your luggage going to be checked through to Vancouver? If so, your time getting out of the airport will not be that late.

I'd say take the RER train into Paris, walk a few blocks from the station to a hotel in Saint Germain-de-Pres (I like Hotel Des Academies et des Arts). From there, you can easily walk to cafes, Luxembourg Park, and the many great restaurants in Montparnasse (for ex, you could make a reservation for Le Dome just a couple of blocks from that hotel), or get the Metro from a stop that is right there as well, and head over to Notre Dame and or to the Eiffel Tower at sunset.

In the morning, have the hotel call a taxi to the airport.

There is no way I'd stay in an airport hotel and not have a great evening in that city.

I would assume so as this was the standard flight, I did not have to finagle anything to get the 20 hour layover. I agree, I don't want to stay near the airport, I have plenty of time to stay in the city! I don't have that long, so a great hotel in the city is part of the great evening I plan on having! I can sleep on the 10 hour flight on the way home!

Thank you Chloe, it will be a great evening and thank you for the hotel tip!

You're welcome! The hotel is a small but upscale boutique hotel in a safe and non-touristy area. There is a spa onsite and a wonderful breakfast. The staff will make a dinner restaurant reservation for you if you email them. Regardless of where you decide to stay, I'm sure you will have a great time!