Patouche - any recent feedback?

kaultra

im looking for any recent feedback on patouche charter boat tours. I'm not looking for advice from his friends but actual people who have sailed with him recently. I have emailed him twice now to ask questions with no response. We would love to snorkel and visit the Baths by boat. Aristocat and karuhla are both booked as well as the day sails boat. I'm reluctant to spend $500 plus the $30 online booking "fee" for four people to sail with someone who can't return my emails. I searched this board with mixed reviews. Trip advisor reviews look good so I guess I don't understand why he won't return my emails?

Any other charter boat recommendations for a party of 4 adults around that price range are welcomed. Thanks.

I can't speak more highly of him. He is a owner operator so this may slow his response time. But my family and I loved the day with Joe. After lunch at Cooper Island my wife went to step into the boat and the lens of her glasses fell out. Joe took his shirt off and dove under the boat at least ten feet and found it. He was a great story teller letting us know the history of the local islands and pointing out points of interest. I should also tell you I never paid a $30 online booking fee. I should also tell you we were there on march 1st. I could tell you more if you would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. This makes me feel a little bit better. He hasn't replied for almost a week now. I've sent two emails. We plan to sail next week so I'm not sure what I'll do. Looks like the only way to reserve is online and the checkout program automatically adds that $30 service charge which I'm not willing to pay since that will go toward lunch which we must pay extra for. I guess I can try a third email but I just don't see the point. Reviews on CC are not great but his trip advisor reviews are decent. He definitely isn't my first choice but my other options are sold out. It feels like a lot of money to spend for 4 people so I'm just hoping I don't make a decision I'll regret.

Yes it was hard to get a response through the website email right away, he told me he checks it when he's in his office but if he's busy it's only once a week. He is on Facebook as well, Joe Standish . There is no service charge but a 50% deposit which was not taken till right before our charter. He called me twice to square things away and went out of his way to take our party out when there was a mix up. The cost for join along charter to the baths, cooper island full day tour was 125$ each and children 75$. He had a driver waiting at the port to take us to his marina and provided snorkel equipment, beer, soft drinks, water and rum punch. We snorkeld near cooper island and had viewed the menu on the boat which he called in ahead of time for us so when we docked and got seated the food was just about ready. We than had about an hour at the resort to walk around or swim, shop etc... then we went to the baths and he anchored as close as he could but you will still have to swim to the shore and back at about 150 ft. The waves were ok getting to the beach but it was afternoon and approaching high tide so after exploring the baths it was much more difficult to swim back to the boat but he does give you those waist flotation devices to help. It was a nice long hour sail back to the marina and after paying him the balance he had a driver take us back to port. Great day. You might try this cell phone number tel:(284)494-6300

Thank you for the review. I sent two emails, a text message, I liked him on Facebook and sent a private message then I called his cell phone and left a voice message. After all that I finally received a text message telling me he had availability and to book online and that he would pick us up at 8:30am. He is using a new online booking engine that charges a $30 "service fee" to book online and only lets you pay in full. He did eventually call me after I text him back to tell him I wouldn't pay the extra $30 and we agreed I would pay in full for the 4 adults in cash once we arrive. I also told him 8:30am pick up was too late for the escape. It's too bad he doesn't have anyone to help him with customer service issues like this. He is pretty gruff on the phone which I expected. His website states he offers a guided tour of the Baths. From what I'm hearing it sounds like we will be on our own over there. Was that your experience? Thanks :-)

Well if you go to the baths you will swim to beach alone, he stayed with the boat. Your entering from the end going against the flow of the people making there way to the beach, so depending on how busy it is you might not go all the way back through. My sister took a wrong turn and somehow managed to end up in the parking lot so keep an eye on the water. Without water shoes it was hard to walk over the rocks, we used flippers to swim to the beach but of course took them off and the rocks hurt my feet so I didnt make it to far. At cooper island he is able to pull right up to the dock, and I enjoyed a quick swim while at the resort. The scenery was beautiful all around you as you make your way around bvi. When you reach the port in tortolla you need to walk to the left down the street with all the tour vans, past them all to find your driver , and maybe even ask someone as he was not right outside the port building. We liked Joe, he is a character and will speak his mind, but I knew that beforehand by reading reviews.

We've always received email responses within a week (Joe is the captain and everything else and it can be frustrating since we're so used to quick replies here). But this is his busiest season so you need to contact him very early to even get a seat, and reserve on his site early. If you made a last minute reservation I'd have a plan B.

And of course a phone call and/or voicemail is always much better than an email or text and you don't go through this waiting game...worth the cost of a call

Edited by blue_water