1st cruise with kids. Family of 6.

Riffle6

Hello all!

This will be our first time taking our kids on a cruise. We are going Carnival to the Bahamas. 5 days.

Our kids are: 18 DD, 15 DS, 11 DS, and 4 DD.

Here are my concerns:

*Rooming?

*Having bored kids on the ship?

*Ports of Call: traveling around Nassau.

*What is essential to pack for the kids?

My husband & I loved our previous kid-free cruise. Hoping a family cruise will be great for all of us. Our 4 year old daughter can be a real crab, so my main concern is her.

Any tips, tricks, ideas are welcome!!!:)

Thanks

Hello all!

This will be our first time taking our kids on a cruise. We are going Carnival to the Bahamas. 5 days.

Our kids are: 18 DD, 15 DS, 11 DS, and 4 DD.

Here are my concerns:

*Rooming?

*Having bored kids on the ship?

*Ports of Call: traveling around Nassau.

*What is essential to pack for the kids?

My husband & I loved our previous kid-free cruise. Hoping a family cruise will be great for all of us. Our 4 year old daughter can be a real crab, so my main concern is her.

Any tips, tricks, ideas are welcome!!!:)

Thanks

We only travelled on RC but I guess it's pretty much the same.

I'd think with 4 kids you'll need either a family suite or 2 adjoining rooms (with a door connecting them). Actually 2 rooms is probably better.

In all cruise lines there are kids programs and for the 11 and 15 year old it will be almost full time activity so you don't have to worry about them.

4 year old might be a bit more challanging, but they do have playtime sessions, usually with parents (or older brother/sister).

I'm sure it will be an adventure for the whole family.

Enjoy !

I am going on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise for spring break with my best friend her husband and their 4 kids (15,13,8,3) so Ill be able to give you some insight when we get back!

So far we have kept them excited by showing them pictures and videos of the ship and activities, cruise shopping trips for new summer clothes, flip flops, formal dresses and let them help out picking excursions!

I am really looking forward to a big family vacation and seeing the little ones experience new things! Should be a blast!

I, too, would second getting 2 cabins....put the kids in one, and you in the other...that way, the kid's messes stay in THEIR cabin, and you can have a bit of privacy.

There is no way the kids (of any age) will be bored on the ship! No way! There is always something going on. The younger kids will be using the kid's club much of the time...they really keep them interested. The older kids will be doing what older kids do...checking out the opposite sex, hanging on the sports deck, pool or arcade. No worries about keeping them entertained.

A guidebook on your ports will allow you to find the right activities for your family. I highly suggest getting one and having all readers in your family take a gander at it!

There really isn't much difference packing for a cruise from any vacation....pack for the weather! PLENTY of sunscreen...the sun is much stronger than you imagine! A sunburn can ruin your week....bring lots, use often!

For your littlest one...bring any and all medications your might need....the ship doesn't sell many, if any, pediatric meds, so bring what you might need for stuffy noses, tummyaches, fever/pain relief, etc...

Definitely need two cabins - if you can get/afford connecting cabins I'd go that route. If you'd like a balcony and can't afford two then because you've got older (responsible) kids I'd consider putting them in a room across the hall - you can always have the little one come over and sleep in your cabin at night (no one does bed checks except for you!).

As for entertaining them....I'd make sure you go to the first introductory meeting for all the kids ages (and REALLY encourage them) to at least attend the first meeting for the kids club - that way they can meet other kids, even if they decide not to attend the regular club activities.

This can be especially important if you have a little one who may be shy or unsure......attend the introductory meeting, connect with one of the counselors, really review the schedule of activities and be enthusiastic about them "trying". Usually when kids give the clubs a "try" they enjoy themselves.....getting over that first hurdle can be difficult for the shy ones; and if they don't like a particular activity then make that "family time" and try again during a different activity.

We always cruise with 4-6 kids and they LOVE cruising....

We're cruising in April, my daughter will be 4 in March and my son will be 2 in May. I would go on a cruise with my daughter tomorrow without giving it a 2nd thought, for us it's my son who I'm a little concerned about.

I don't know when you're going, but until then I'd try and work with your 4 year old and her attitude. By the time my daughter was my son's age, she was pretty close to being a big sister. I think because we've always looked at her as a bit older than she was, and needed her to be a bit more mature, she's been so managable since 2, and definetly after 3. I see I let my son get away with so much more because he's the baby. I can understand where the youngest can be the biggest challenge because you baby them, if you can I'd work on that.

My daughter started daycare at 2 1/2, and then I switched her so after being home with my for the summer she started a new one at 3 1/2. She did great the 1st few days of both and was so excited. The excitement wore off after a few days, and when she was 2 it led to crying for several days at drop off. I think at this age if you talk things up and let them know how exciting it will be, they're so into it the 1st few days they don't give you any problems. I'd also be sure to talk to her upfront about what you expect as far as behaviors and what the consequences will be. I know this is bad parenting advice, and at 4 it may not work as well anymore, but when my daughter gives me a problem anywhere in public and I can tell reason is not going to get me out of a situation, I quickly look real serious and kind of nervous and tell her about the man who is looking at us and going to come yell at her and not let her there anymore if we don't leave. I have fun with it and really play it up. Again, horrible parenting advice, but you want to enjoy your vacation, so if it works, go with it.

We just got back from a cruise with our 13 and 16 year old and found that the more choices they can make the better it will be. We gave them an on-ship amount and let them decide if they were going to spend it on smoothies or stuff from the gift shop or activities...whatever. They registered in the Teen program (against protest) and then started picking activities on day 4 to go to. But it was all their own choice so it took the pressure off of us, and let them decide how to spend their vacation. Have a great vacation!