Costa Maya recommendations

Ashemson

Going on cruise in January to Costa Maya. Theres 8 of us ranging in age 17-70! We are doing beach day at Cozumel so looking for recommendations for fun at Costa Maya. I've considered ruins, zip lining, etc. We will be there from noon-8pm. Thanks!

IMO, Costa Maya is primarily a beach day port. But there are good sets of ruins about an hour- hour and a half away. Ship excursions aren't the way to go here. overcrowded, guides aren't that good, poor quality refreshments and food. So look up Native Choice and find a tour that fits your group or just make it another beach day. Blue Kay, Tropicante, Pitaya, Pez Quadro are all good beach clubs with websites where you can reserve loungers. While the latter two have packages, the first two are fully pay-as-you-go with no admission charge, but you can reserve loungers. All are easily reached via taxi or you can take the tram from port and ask the driver to stop at the nearest stop to the club you wish to go to. All beach clubs are along a strip of coast called Mahahual's malecon. No real physical barriers between any and there are more than just the 4 I mentioned.

I believe zip lining or some sort is available at the water park near port, but IMO, the water park is very expensive relative to what you'd pay for a ruins tour or spend just heading to a beach club.

We did the same recently...beach trip in Cozumel and then excursion in Costa Maya. We did an excursion in Costa Maya and visited the Mayan ruins. I did not book through Carnival. I did research and booked through Native Choice, who I highly recommend. They have different types of excursions based on the different physical abilities for your party. My husband and I (40) did this with our 2 children 10yo and 2yo. It was an air conditioned bus ride (only about 16 people) to the Ruins. The walk through the Ruins was at a very good pace, no rushing, time for everyone to do their own exploring and taking pictures. The Guide (Eddar) was amazing and full of information. I would highly recommend using them if you are thinking about a Mayan Ruins excursion. Have a great trip!

• 2 months later...

Any experience of doing the ruins with someone in a wheelchair? I don't want to assume so I'll ask, did the 70yo do the tour as well? Use a wheelchair? Or what activities are there if wheelchair use age is impossible?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The wheel chair may be a little difficult to navigate on the Ruins Tour (at least the one we done). The trails are wide but some of them have lots of roots or gravel and things. It was hard to push a stroller through some of it so it might be even more complicated with a wheel chair.