Souvenirs are they worth the hassle?

Sawtry

I enjoy buying souvenirs, usually small things that will fit in my backpack. I also buy them to give to family - mostly my mother and sister but sometimes a friend or other family member if something strikes me. if I didn't enjoy buying them, then I wouldn't bother but for me it's part of the fun. I never spend very much - the most I've ever spent was on a work trip to South Korea because the beauty products there are awesome and overall much cheaper than in the US. I had to buy an extra bag there to take back - first time that's ever happened to me.

I love souvenirs!

I walk down the stairs at home and am immediately reminded of our trip to Turkey when I see the rug on the wall.

Passing the framed caricatures of the five of us in the family room brings to mind the amazing day we had LegoLand in Florida.

The Swarovski Eiffel Tower reminds me of spending Bastille Day in Paris - and makes me crave baguettes with ham and cheese!

My Cheshire Cat iPhone case makes me remember our trip to Disneyworld and how much fun we had with our boys.

My little red glass heart pendant reminds me of a magical evening meandering the streets of Venice as a thunderstorm rolled in and lit up the skies.

The blue and gold medieval style goblets we got in the Tower of London are always fun to use and reconnect me with the amazing sense of history found there.

I have many many more souviners, each carefully chosen and each evoking a happy memory of a special time with loved ones. So yes, for me they are worth the effort.

My wife and I are planning on a Baltic Cruise in August. She and I would like to buy some souvenirs while there, my only question is the duty you need to pay plus packing it in your luggage for the trip home worth it?

Can't you find the same items on e-bay for a lot less? We may just take a lot of photos, and buy any souvenirs that are a MUST have from e-bay once we return

any thoughts please reply:)

If you are from Washington DC, the whether can be rather cool in the winter.

We found some beautiful Nordic type sweaters in Estonia right near the pier. They were absolutely beautiful and the prices were a bunch less that what you'd pay in the US.

Unfortunately we live near Phoenix and sweaters are not too practicle for us. But Karen is still talking about them.

Scott & Karen

I love looking for unusual items. Small paintings, etc. I've even gotten a couple of small stuffed animals, just for fun. A sheep (with real wool) from NZ and a little Nessie from Scotland. :) I always look for a coffee mug for me, baseball cap for my brother, t-shirts for our older son and ourselves, and local cookbooks for our younger son and dil since they like to cook.

• 2 weeks later...
We collect Christmas tree ornaments from the various new ports that we visit. We have one tree dedicated just to them.

I also collect Christmas Ornaments but find in a lot of places they aren't available or are only available in October to January (felt very patronised this week by sales clerk on QM2 who could not see why anyone would want to buy a Christmas ornament in August). In some cases (eg Malawi, Sri Lanka and Zambia - not cruise destinations but work) I buy keyrings and turn those into tree decorations.