straw bag help needed

Bettyboop66

I'm looking for a little help and I knew that CC was the place to go. A few cruises ago we made a short stop in Nassau and at the straw market I picked up a very cute straw bag, I'm wondering if anyone can give me a little guidance on how I might be able to put a waterproof liner in it so that I can use it at the pool. I always have my Nook with me and don't want to risk it getting wet. My skill with a needle and thread is sadly limited to sewing on buttons. I can sew by hand but a sewing machine would be way out of my league. I've tried searching online and haven't had much luck. Thanks in advance!!

I'm looking for a little help and I knew that CC was the place to go. A few cruises ago we made a short stop in Nassau and at the straw market I picked up a very cute straw bag, I'm wondering if anyone can give me a little guidance on how I might be able to put a waterproof liner in it so that I can use it at the pool. I always have my Nook with me and don't want to risk it getting wet. My skill with a needle and thread is sadly limited to sewing on buttons. I can sew by hand but a sewing machine would be way out of my league. I've tried searching online and haven't had much luck. Thanks in advance!!

Do you want the whole linning to be water proof? Or just a covering for your Nook?

Also you may want to post on this sewing thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834&page=30

Lot of people on that thred to help.

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks, I didn't even know that there was a sewing thread. I'm headed over there right now. And I think the whole bag being waterproof would be what I would need.

Betty, I just posted to this on the sewing thread. But in case you do not see it, I will copy it to here.

Betty, E-6000 makes a glue called "fabri-fuse", I would use it for this project. You should be able to find it in Walmart, or just do a search for it online. It is under $5 a tube. It is waterproof, so once you have applied it, you will not have to worry about it letting go if it gets wet.

E 6000 makes great glues, I use the regular multi purpose E 6000 glue that comes in a 3.7 oz tube for darn near everything, china, handles on pots and pans, glass, wood. Once it cures it is there forever. Not even the dishwasher will loosen it.

They also sell it in a 4 pack small travel size tubes. I never travel without it. In the past while on cruises it has glued a wheel housing back on a suitcase, sealed a cracked suitcase and taken care of a shoe sole that came loose.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Betty, I just posted to this on the sewing thread. But in case you do not see it, I will copy it to here.

Betty, E-6000 makes a glue called "fabri-fuse", I would use it for this project. You should be able to find it in Walmart, or just do a search for it online. It is under $5 a tube. It is waterproof, so once you have applied it, you will not have to worry about it letting go if it gets wet.

E 6000 makes great glues, I use the regular multi purpose E 6000 glue that comes in a 3.7 oz tube for darn near everything, china, handles on pots and pans, glass, wood. Once it cures it is there forever. Not even the dishwasher will loosen it.

They also sell it in a 4 pack small travel size tubes. I never travel without it. In the past while on cruises it has glued a wheel housing back on a suitcase, sealed a cracked suitcase and taken care of a shoe sole that came loose.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for the advice, I will be heading to Walmart tomorrow and hopefully I can get my bag ready before my cruise in 3 weeks.

I've had pretty good luck so far fixing the liner for my bag. I should have known that once I mentioned what I wanted to do to my wonderful "engineer" husband, that he would take my little idea and run with it, and luckily I wasn't disappointed. He went to Walmart first thing this morning found the glue, and bought a tan colored (it needs to match he said) shower liner and worked on it for most of the morning. After he measured and cut and measured some more, he even did some sewing on it to make it look better (he's so cute). My new and improved bag is sitting in the corner of the room stuffed with towels and clips all over the top to keep the liner tight to the bag while it's drying. So far it's looking pretty good, I'll give an update when we take the towels out. He's already planning the little touch up gluing he might have to do around the top. I'll try and get a picture when it's all done. Thanks for the tips on what to use, Cruise Critic never lets me down!!

I've had pretty good luck so far fixing the liner for my bag. I should have known that once I mentioned what I wanted to do to my wonderful "engineer" husband, that he would take my little idea and run with it, and luckily I wasn't disappointed. He went to Walmart first thing this morning found the glue, and bought a tan colored (it needs to match he said) shower liner and worked on it for most of the morning. After he measured and cut and measured some more, he even did some sewing on it to make it look better (he's so cute). My new and improved bag is sitting in the corner of the room stuffed with towels and clips all over the top to keep the liner tight to the bag while it's drying. So far it's looking pretty good, I'll give an update when we take the towels out. He's already planning the little touch up gluing he might have to do around the top. I'll try and get a picture when it's all done. Thanks for the tips on what to use, Cruise Critic never lets me down!!

Happy to hear that it worked out. Can't wait to see it!