Princess Cay snorkeling

firstalaskatrip

Hello - I'm going on a cruise in November. One of the ports is Princess Cay. My mother and I really love snorkeling. We are thinking of doing the boat snorkeling excursion in Princess Cay since we figured it would be better than snorkeling from shore. Have any of you done this excursion, snorkeled from the shore there, or preferably both? Any thoughts on what's best/what may be seen from either or both? We have our own snorkel and masks, so it's really about what we will see. Thanks!

Hi...We snorkeled the princess keys from shore. The fish were great...but the shore was rough for me to get out of the water. It took two people to help me out. If princess is reading this. how about making a handicapped entrance into water....some type of railing to hang onto. The picnic was good.

thanks for your response. Was there any coral to see from shore or just fish? That's helpful to know that getting out was challenging. What was tough about getting out of the water? waves/undertow? or steep dropoff to climb up? Did you snorkel by the dock that supposedly juts out into the water?

thanks for your response. Was there any coral to see from shore or just fish? That's helpful to know that getting out was challenging. What was tough about getting out of the water? waves/undertow? or steep dropoff to climb up? Did you snorkel by the dock that supposedly juts out into the water?

There's a main swimming area that does have some large rocks to look out for but go slow. Always a little tricky with your fins on. The main reef area is to the right side (looking out from shore) of the gazebo that juts out. Can't really go straight out to it due to the rocky shoreline so you need to go out the main swimming area and swim around the gazebo. Parallel the shore and go in a little ways and you'll be over the reef. Go out too far and all you'll see is a sandy bottom. Lots of little fish, I've seen some eels hiding out and also saw my first octopus a couple years ago. That one was in the sand and blended in until I spooked it. Man oh man do they swim fast! If it's calm it can be pretty busy with all the bumper cars (oops, I mean snorklers). :D