Mount Dalsnibba, Geiranger, Norway, am or pm tour?

Can anybody give me advice on which tour to take for the clearest views from Mount Dalsnibba, Geiranger, 8.30 am or 12.00 noon? This is surmising that the weather is fine :)

I have come a cropper previously, thinking the earlier the better & finding a view blocked by low cloud which has risen in the afternoon, but never having been to Norway I am unsure what to expect.

Any thoughts would be most helpful :)

Thank you

I think it's too unpredictable to make it worth your worry. When we were there, it was just an overall overcast/cloudy day. This was part of a full-day tour. The tour bus route that we were on first had a choice to go up Dalsnibba earlier in the day, but the guide decided that it was not going to be the best weather up top at that time. So we went on to other sites with the plan to stop at Dalsnibba on the return trip to the ship. We did this. But when we got up there, the view downward into the valley was still 100% obscured by fog/mist/clouds. I think I would just pick whatever works best with your schedule and keep your fingers crossed for a good day.

You can't say anything about whats best or not when it comes to weather, fog or clouds at Mt.Dalsnibba. Dalsnibba is approx 1500 meters high and at those altitudes the weather can change within minutes. When you start on your drive it may be sunny and clear, and before you reach the summit, its maybe foggy - or it can be the opposite. The "costal fog" that can be a problem in some areas during summer never reach inland to Geiranger area. If you go on the morning tour, you will have the sun more "behind" you, speaking of the view towards Geiranger. During afternoon the sun will be more on your side, or even right in front of you when you look down to Geiranger, so, speaking as a amateur photographer, I will advice to go on the morning trip. :)

Good luck

Trotto

...living not far from Geiranger.. )

Many thanks for both your replies, both have been very helpful, especially Trotto, if the weather is fine, then I would like to get the best photos possible & your information on the direction of the sun was something I hadn't taken into account.

Many thanks again

Regards

Archived