Suggestions for Rarotonga excursion?

luckybecky

We are trying to begin firming up our plans for our July 30 Cook & Society Islands cruise. I think we have a pretty good idea of what we want to do at each stop, and we are starting to email tour operators. But I am not sure what to do in Rarotonga. PG has only a small handful of offerings at this port. Any ideas of how to spend this day? Tour operators that you would recommend? Anything in particular that you would recommend for this stop? Or should we just make it a low-key beach day?

Here is where we stand right now with our thinking for each port. If you have any thoughts on any of this, please feel free to chime in with suggestions!

Huahine: Combo tour (blue-eyed eels, marae, snorkel, picnic) with Marc at Huahine-Nautique.com

Aitutaki: PG lagoon cruise with beach BBQ (thanks Emdee for recommending the lagoon cruise)

Rarotonga: ???

Bora Bora Day 1: Combo tour with Patrick (we hope, if we can get another couple on board with us) -- includes 4 x 4 island tour, snorkeling, rays, lagoon cruise, Polynesian feast.

Bora Bora Day 2: PG jet ski circle island tour

Taha'a : Beach day on Motu Mahana. Maybe Coral Garden drift snorkel if we are feeling energetic. Or just have a low-key day at the beach if our travels have worn us out by now.

Moorea Day 1: PG M. Poole Dolphin/Whale watch.

Moorea Day 2: ATVMooreatours.pf ATV tour

Hubby wants to ride a jet ski and an ATV, both of which we have never done before. So I've made sure to get both of those activities on the list. Any other suggestions for us newbies?

Never been on a cruise to Rarotonga but spent a week there a few years ago on vacation. Was a very easy island to get around and use the local bus service. One bus went one way and the other bus went the other way around a single loop. Just make sure you are on the right side of the road. Very friendly and a few years ago - still had an "undiscovered" local feel. The beaches are beautiful and calm and easy to rent a kayak and explore. One thing - lots of sea cucumbers there so take water shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Twin. What do you mean about "actually get off the ship?" Is that likely to be a problem?

It's a tender port that gets cancelled periodically due to water conditions. First time I was there many years ago we were the first ship to "land" in 3 months.

It has gotten better though.

Edited by twin123185

take a look at Trip Advisor, lots of recommendations for Rarotonga, Titikaveka beach, (been there on a few days vacation myself and it is lovely).

Easy to get to by own transport or bus. - and not far from Muri, (where the shops and restaurants are) -- see a local map online for ideas.

Trip advisor has good detail on things to do in Raro (and many other destinations!) and also helpful info' on the Forum.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. It sounds like this is an easy port to DIY an excursion using the local bus. Looking forward to it!

Becky

Have fun doing the research Becky, hope you enjoy the cruise and all the ports of call.:)