Canon FD to Sony E-Series Adapter

donaldsc

Did some surfing for this and it looks like you have a couple of paths...cheap and not.

Novoflex is considered to be the gold standard and negative reviews are nearly non-existent. The $200 price tag stings a little unless you have a bag full of great FD glass to spread the cost across.

Fotodiox is an inexpensive brand that gets a high percentage of good marks and after reading through the good and bad reviews, it looks like it may be worth the $25. The only caveat was that some people described a tight fit on the mount. I have used their step-up rings and ND filters and they seem to produce quality products.

There are several others like the Fotasy that look identical to the Fotodiox and are likely rebranded copies. Some are Amazon Prime, so returning one if it didn't work out would be easy.

Metabones and Mitakon make "turbo" adapters that incorporate a lens that gives you a wider field of view (negating some of the crop factor) and increases the effective aperture by about a full stop. Priced at about $170 for the mitakon and double that for Metabones.

Hope this helps. I've been researching adapters for a while since I have my eye on a few vintage Minolta MD primes to play with.

Dave

I haven't used any Canon FD adapters, but have long been using adapted manual mount lenses on my NEX cameras for years now. I honestly haven't run into any real measurable difference between the cheaper Fotodiox/Fotasy brand adapters and the expensive high-end adapters - I'm sure the build is better and maybe tolerances are more exact with every unit, but even the cheap ones are all metal builds, and if you get one that shows any sign of misalignment or lack of infinity focus, you can return it and get another...for 10 times less money, I have just stuck with the cheap ones. I've got 4 of them for different mounts, and haven't gotten a bad one yet (knock on wood) so haven't had to return or exchange any. I use Leica M mount (I have a helicoid type adapter that allows adjustment for close focus), Konica K/AR mount, and Pentax K mount. I love playing around with the old lenses when I'm in a more relaxed photography mood - I often switch to one of the manual lenses when I'm onboard a ship or on vacation and bring the camera along in case a shot strikes my fancy, but when I'm not necessarily planning to take photos. I'll be reading a book, or relaxing, see something that catches my eye, and give it a snap. Manual focusing on these bodies is a cinch with the focus peaking and magnification options.