Blue Hole Question

shootingstar07

Hello fellow cruisers,

I am leaving for a 5 day cruise Nov 3 that ports in Ocho Rios. Currently I have a ship's tour booked but I am also in communication with Courtney Taylor about a private tour to the Blue Hole.

My question: DH had 2 knees replaced and can't walk long distances. He is 75. Do any of you experienced travelers know if he could enter the Blue Hole without having to act like Tarzan? Is it easy in easy out? I would love to see it with him but he is concerned about getting there and sitting in a van.

Thanks for your input.

Kathleen :o

From the parking lot to the first view point of the Blue Hole is probably 60 or 70 steps. From this point you would probably veer right and go up several steps, down several steps and into the water at the top of the main falls. This is somewhat arduous because the steps aren't even, there aren't any hand rails and it can be slick. Some people climb up from the top of the falls into some upper falls - we didn't because I had camera equipment with me.

You then return to the original view point and continue on to see a lower lagoon. This is an easier walk although there are stairs.

To actually get into the water would probably be very difficult for him. I have arthritis in my knees and climbing the stairs around the site wasn't the easiest for me. It's not that there are so many steps, but that they are steep and uneven.

The good news is the guides at the Blue Hole are extremely helpful and really do try to assist people who are struggling to make their way around the site.