Private Tour Itinerary Help

krisa20

Hello,

7 of us will be in St. Maarten on Wednesday, November 12 from 8:00am to 6:45pm. It's our first time to the island. There are only 2 boats in dock that day. We would like to hire a private guide so we can customize our trip. Here is our proposed itinerary:

First stop 9:00-10:00: Marigot - grab breakfast pastries at Serafinas. Spend about 1 hour here exploring the market (Wednesday is market day, yes?)

10:30-1:00pm: Orient Bay - head here after Marigot for a couple hours. We have a toddler, so we don't need more than a couple hours at the beach. Orient Beach is "the" beach to check out, I've read. Is Le Gallion (good for toddlers) as beautiful? We just want to go to a beautiful place!

1:15-2:15pm: Grand Case - grab lunch at a LoLo. Any specific LoLo recommendation? I know we are backtracking here, but the timing doesn't seem to work otherwise for a lunch stop here.

2:45-4:00: Philipsburg - head back towards the boat with a pit stop for some shopping.

4:30pm: Return to ship.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this doable or rushed? Are my travel times accurate? I've read about traffic concerns, but we are following the recommendations to go clockwise around the island, plus we will have an experienced tour guide. Are traffic concerns always present or just when there are multiple ships docked?

2) Are all the stops worth it for a first time visitor? Would you skip anything/add anything?

3) Would you spend more or less time at any of the stops?

Things we have no interest in doing:

1) Seeing Maho Beach

2) Renting a car - everyone wants to relax and not worry about driving

Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated!!! :)

Edited by krisa20

Hi krisa,

It sounds like you've really done your homework. Thanks for that.

I think that your plan sounds just fine for what you've identified as wanting to do (and not wanting).

Yes, Wednesday is Market day in Marigot, and it will be easy to spend an hour or more wandering through the offerings and enjoying a bite to eat. I would suggest that you consider a quick visit to Fort Louis, above Marigot for a fabulous vista view.

th_DSCN2911.jpg th_DSCN4304.jpg

Le Galion and Orient Beach are directly adjacent, and I would suggest a quick stop at Orient, just to see it, and then continue to le Galion for your toddler and beach stay. Food, drink and chairs/umbrellas are available. Save room for lunch at the Lolos.

th_DSCN3348.jpg th_DSCF0527.jpg

In Grand Case, we like Germaine's Place, but you can walk about and see what each is offering and what looks good on the grill. We get an order of ribs and an order of Mahi Mahi, both with sides, and a few ice cold Red Stripes. It's always been € = $ here for us.

th_DSCN5338.jpg th_DSCN5347.jpg

Should be an easy 45 minutes or less back to Philipsburg and shopping. Looking for anything specific? Besides jewelry, I would suggest that you go and measure your tables for linens right now and tuck the information into your travel folder. We shop at Mr Tablecloth, on Frontstreet, adjacent to the Holland House hotel at the recommendation of our friend Joyce Prince, and have been more than pleased with multiple purchases there.

If you are interested in photography at all, there are a few scenic stops that come to mind around the island that you can ask your driver to stop for, looking over Simpson Bay, over Grand Case from Marigot, and above Orient. This in addition to Fort Louis.

We would recommend that you contact Joyce Prince for your tour, as she seems perfect for your group size. Bernard also comes highly recommended.

Any more questions?

gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for this very helpful response.

I did reach out to Joyce and she seems lovely. I also heard from Sunny Liston tours who gets good reviews. Do you know anything about them?

I spoke to one tour guide, who I decided not to use, but he suggested that the LoLos are still rebuilding from hurricane damage and that Le Galion may also be damaged. I'm wondering if anyone has updated news on whether they will be open in a week and a half.

As for shopping, nothing specific, just want to browse!