Suggested One-Day Tour from Auckland to Waitomo Caves & Hobitton

Pomai

Hello, need help in finding a tour from Auckland to Waitomo Caves and Hobbition in January after our Celebrity Solstice cruise ends. We have 6 people and would like some ideas of tours to take us to both locations. We are staying 3 nights in Auckland and would like to do this tour on our 2nd day. We don't want to drive. Any suggestions?

I think you'd be unlikely to find a tour that just does those two places in one day.

It is doable but they are quite a distance from each other. Auckland to Waitomo is at least 2.5 hours drive, across to Hobbiton is another 1.5 hours at least, and back to Auckland from there is close to 2 hours. That's 6 hours of travelling without time for sightseeing. The Hobbiton tour is 2 hours I think, and the basic Waitomo tour is 45 minutes.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Great Sights does a combined 1 day tour to those two locations out of Auckland. It's a long day (I think it was about 14 hours round trip) but we really enjoyed the tour and just napped on the bus a bit between stops.

If you are staying in the downtown core, then they will use Super Shuttle type services to pick you up right from your hotel and deliver you to the tour bus departure location. They'll leave a letter for you at your hotel the night before with the exact pick up time.

Great Sights does a combined 1 day tour to those two locations out of Auckland. It's a long day (I think it was about 14 hours round trip) but we really enjoyed the tour and just napped on the bus a bit between stops.

If you are staying in the downtown core, then they will use Super Shuttle type services to pick you up right from your hotel and deliver you to the tour bus departure location. They'll leave a letter for you at your hotel the night before with the exact pick up time.

We are staying at the SkyCity Hotel. I've also checked their website & found the tour, but can you tell me how you booked your tour. And how far in advance did you book the tour. Thanks for your help!

We are staying at the SkyCity Hotel. I've also checked their website & found the tour, but can you tell me how you booked your tour. And how far in advance did you book the tour. Thanks for your help!

We booked directly from their website about 6 months in advance.

• 1 month later...
Hello, need help in finding a tour from Auckland to Waitomo Caves and Hobbition in January after our Celebrity Solstice cruise ends. We have 6 people and would like some ideas of tours to take us to both locations. We are staying 3 nights in Auckland and would like to do this tour on our 2nd day. We don't want to drive. Any suggestions?

So glad to see someone going to Hobbiton. We loved it and would go back again - such fun. We haven't been to the caves, though. We only have one day in Auckland on our cruise next February, so probably won't make it. Have fun.