fairwinds or zodiac-Kona???

fayerussell

Hello! My husband and I did a captain zodiac excursion through the PoA on our last Hawaii cruise. I noticed that NCL doesn't show zodiac as an option on the excursions for my March 2015 cruise. We are taking my mother this time and I am not sure that she can get into and out of the raft anyways. We is elderly and wants to go but I'm worried about her falling trying to get in and out. I looked at the PoA bodyglove excursion, but it doesn't go to the Captain Cook Monument. I did see that the Fairwinds does but you have to take a taxi to them and could be short on time. Also, the fairwinds do not refund money if the cruise can not dock at the pier. Help please!!! We loved snorkeling captain cook and seeing the spinner dolphins and really want to do it again. :)

Hello! My husband and I did a captain zodiac excursion through the PoA on our last Hawaii cruise. I noticed that NCL doesn't show zodiac as an option on the excursions for my March 2015 cruise. We are taking my mother this time and I am not sure that she can get into and out of the raft anyways. We is elderly and wants to go but I'm worried about her falling trying to get in and out. I looked at the PoA bodyglove excursion, but it doesn't go to the Captain Cook Monument. I did see that the Fairwinds does but you have to take a taxi to them and could be short on time. Also, the fairwinds do not refund money if the cruise can not dock at the pier. Help please!!! We loved snorkeling captain cook and seeing the spinner dolphins and really want to do it again. :)

We will be on the POA this August and are booked for the Fair Wind Deluxe Morning Cruise which leaves from Keauhou Bay at 9:00. Keauhou Bay is about 20 minutes by car. We will just make sure we are in the first group to tender off the ship. Taxis are plentiful at the dock, but we did prearrange with Mel's Taxi for pick up and return. The tour concludes at 1:30 and we should be back in Kona by 2:00 with plenty of time to explore before the last tender at 5:00.

Not sure what the percentages are of the number of times the POA cannot make this port, but I think they are pretty small. We think it is worth the risk.

As far as the Zodiak tour, I know I have seen reviews of this excursion in some POA reviews. I believe Puddles is one, if you can find hers, or maybe she will chime in here. We ruled that out for ourselves. We like to snorkel, but we also like a little comfort and this one just seemed a little too adventurous for us.

Fair Winds does have another boat which is even more luxurious with stadium style chairs with backs with headrests, arms, and shade, but it does not go to Keaalakekua Bay which we especially want to see. We have heard many times that the snorkeling in Kona is the best in the islands.

Awesome! Is there anyway you can email me when you get back and let me know how it went? fayerussell@hotmail.com Fairwinds look really great. I'm interested in seeing how the time goes. Also, if they stop to look at the dolphins, etc along the way. Thanks!!

No problem. Our cruise leaves 8-16, but we don't get back home until the 30th. Will let you know how it goes.

The FairWind is an excellent choice for your mother - or for anyone. It's very spacious, plenty of shade (a lower covered seating area, plus an upper sun deck), very stable, and nice wide steps at the back for getting in and out of the water. They are very safety conscious and carefully explain all the environmental issues for protecting the coral. The buffet lunch isn't bad either! Their other boat, the Hula Kai, is more expensive, but we don't like it as well because there's no shade or protection from the wind while the boat is underway. The Zodiaks are fun for those who can handle the getting in and out and the bouncing, but we gave up on them long ago.

Edited by Kartgv

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise yesterday. I would not suggest Captain Zodiac for anyone who isn't in great shape or the elderly. You have to really hold on tight to keep from flying out of the boat. It was a great excursion, though, and the snorkeling was fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from our cruise yesterday. I would not suggest Captain Zodiac for anyone who isn't in great shape or the elderly. You have to really hold on tight to keep from flying out of the boat. It was a great excursion, though, and the snorkeling was fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked the Captain Zodiac for September, but your post has me a bit worried. We're fairly fluffy and have pretty much zero upper arm strength. Besides holding onto the raft being difficult, how do you get in and out? Do you have to hoist yourself out of the water? If so, I think we may be out!

Thanks to anyone who can advise us!

Jamie and Jan

We just booked the Captain Zodiac for September, but your post has me a bit worried. We're fairly fluffy and have pretty much zero upper arm strength. Besides holding onto the raft being difficult, how do you get in and out? Do you have to hoist yourself out of the water? If so, I think we may be out!

Thanks to anyone who can advise us!

Jamie and Jan

I would say this is not for you, honestly. They do put a ladder down to get out of the water, and there are people on board to help you up, but it still is not easy. I suggest you do something a little less strenuous.

I would say this is not for you, honestly. They do put a ladder down to get out of the water, and there are people on board to help you up, but it still is not easy. I suggest you do something a little less strenuous.

Thank you so much for the information! If they have a ladder, we're good to go!

Hi punkincc - so nice of you to remember my review!

I would agree with others who said that the Zodiac excursion may not be a good fit for anyone who feels frail or unsure of their appetite for adventure. The trip is fantastic fun, but you do need to hang on. I've heard great things about Fairwinds and think with some pre-planning that could be a good option.

I will caution however that tendering always gives me pause. We've never missed a port due to inability to tender, but I've read enough tales here to make me feel better about booking through NCL for tender ports despite the fact that I happily book privately in most other ports.

Enjoy your adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi punkincc - so nice of you to remember my review!

I would agree with others who said that the Zodiac excursion may not be a good fit for anyone who feels frail or unsure of their appetite for adventure. The trip is fantastic fun, but you do need to hang on. I've heard great things about Fairwinds and think with some pre-planning that could be a good option.

I will caution however that tendering always gives me pause. We've never missed a port due to inability to tender, but I've read enough tales here to make me feel better about booking through NCL for tender ports despite the fact that I happily book privately in most other ports.

Enjoy your adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We actually tried to book the Captain Zodiac excursion directly through them and was told they only provide their vessels for use by NCL when they're in port. That has never happened before with an excursion, so we had to book through the cruise line. Since it's our first experience with a tender port, it's probably best!

Awesome! Is there anyway you can email me when you get back and let me know how it went? fayerussell@hotmail.com Fairwinds look really great. I'm interested in seeing how the time goes. Also, if they stop to look at the dolphins, etc along the way. Thanks!!

Faye, just thought I'd let you know how Fairwinds was here. We loved it. We had priority tendering and got off with the crew who were going ashore that day, probably around 7:30 am. We walked around a little and then grabbed a taxi down to the bay they leave from, about a 20 min ride. We were probably there 30 min before check in time, but we checked in and there is plenty of shaded seating outside along a pretty little bay area. There was coffee and juices, fruit and muffin, pasteries served once on board.

The snorkel stop is at the bay where the Capt. Cook monument is. I don't have my notes, but it starts with a K. The water was probably the clearest I have ever seen. Very calm there and absolutely beautiful. The spinner dolphins are night hunters and they sleep in the bay during the day. The capt. gave us us some fascinating info on how they can do this while swimming and we were able to observe this as we came in. Around lunch time, they seemed to take a break from sleeping and treated us to some spinning leaps from the water. Our lunch was grilled burgers with sides.

The Captain is quite a talker and obviously loves to interact with people. He was great with the kids, letting them take the wheel and talking to each one. They were totally professional and very focused on our safety and also respectful of the marine life. Would do this trip again in a heartbeat.

Our taxi driver volunteered to meet us back there at 1:30 and gave us her card, just in case, but she was there waiting a promised.

Edited by punkincc

Awesome! Thanks so much for letting me know. Definitely what we will do then. How did you get priority tender???? thanks so much, glad you had a good trip!!!:)

We were priority for tenders because we are Gold Latitudes members and the tender ticket was in our cabin when we boarded. But, I believe the process for tendering was to go to guest services beginning at 7:00 am that morning and get a tender ticket. I'm sure there was probably a line. Watch your Freestyle Daily for info the day before, or ask in advance at Guest Services.

Honestly, we never heard them call for any tender boarding. We just walked down there at about 7:30, in case people were already lining up, and crew going ashore were lining up to board. The lady in charge had us and one other party there wait to one side and we boarded immediately after the crew. No one ever asked to see a tender ticket.

Edited by punkincc

• 1 month later...

The Captain Zodiac tour was one of the best excursions we did in the Islands. I'll admit that I was nervous about getting out of the water and back into the boat after snorkeling, but it was a breeze. They let down a ladder and provide assistance, if needed. The most important thing to remember is to follow their instructions!

A much younger and trimmer woman than I am didn't do it the way they were telling her and ended up head first, rear-end up, draped over the side of the boat.

Swing your leg over the edge as instructed and it's surprisingly easy and not at all embarrassing.:)

We ended up doing the Captain Zodiac and it was a breeze getting in and out of the boat. I'm not sure why anyone would think someone couldn't do it. If you aren't able to walk or stand then you probably wouldn't be going on a cruise in the first place. This is a good excursion for anyone, no matter what your physical shape is!

We ended up doing the Captain Zodiac and it was a breeze getting in and out of the boat. I'm not sure why anyone would think someone couldn't do it. If you aren't able to walk or stand then you probably wouldn't be going on a cruise in the first place. This is a good excursion for anyone, no matter what your physical shape is!

We enjoyed our Zodiac tour tremendously; easily one of the highlights of our trip.

That being said, I would disagree that this excursion is for everyone, no matter what kind of shape they are in. It's a long, bumpy ride out to the cove and you have to have a certain amount of mobility to be able to get back in the raft.

It wasn't hard, but I could see some people having issues with it.

LOL. You must be really young:)