Rhodes - Info on port

Kramer995

Once we leave the cruise ship, can we walk to old city Rhodes? I am interested in a quiet relaxing day. I am interested in seeing the windmills and strolling through a pretty town.

I want to hire a private guide for Santorini and Athens.

Thanks for your help!

Heather

It is a very short walk from the cruise boat / tender berths to the old walking city of Rhodes .

Also not to be missed by ships excursion the Acropolis at Lindos .

The Alastair Maclean war time film The Guns of Navarone was filmed on Rhodes primarily within the walls of the old city of Rhodes and also the famous night scene when the sabatours had scaled the cliffs set in the Acropolis at Lindos . The film is available still on DVD .

The old walled town of Rhodes is very accessible from where the ships dock -- it's one of the easiest ports to DIY. Be sure to look online, I remember running across a nice self-guided walking tour that includes the Palace of the Grand Masters and the archaeological museum (in a beautiful old building).

Lindos is very pretty but it's a lot to do if you want to have a relaxing day. The town there is cute (very touristy) and the acropolis above is a very steep climb.

If you are interested, there is also an older and less well preserved acropolis above Rhodes town. You could get a taxi to take you there (they park by the city gate where you enter) very cheaply. I did and I also got a great view of the city below and could see across the water all the way to Turkey.

FWIW, Santorini is very easy to do without a guide also.

Sounds like the perfect day in Rhodes! Since we will be on an eight day cruise with three days in Rome before and three in Istanbul after, I wanted a few easy days to chill.

For Santorini - I only wanted a guide to get the best vantage points for photos. I love the blue domed building in all of the reading materials. Are these shots easy to get if you take the city bus around the island?

Just take the donkey or cable car to the top of the cliff at Fira and you will have heaps of blue dome and greek church bell photo opportunities. For the very best Greek spanikopita you will find it at the restaurants along the quay at the base of the cliffs below Fira where the ships tenders arrive and depart from .