Need Help with money in London and Dublin

We will be in England, Ireland, Scotland, and Paris.

So, what will I need?

England and Scotland..pounds(although Scotland has it's own currency per se,but you can use £'s(they just print their own,but all in all it is the same).If you are in Northern Ireland..pounds,but the rest of Ireland it will be Euro's as well as Paris. Here is a link that will help you with currency conversion...Currency Converter

In England, Northern Ireland and Scotland you will need Sterling (Pounds £ and pence/p's); Republic of Ireland and France, Euros, (euros and cents).

Euro notes in Ireland will have a different design to those issued in other EU (European Union) states, but they are acceptable in any country that uses the Euro currency.

Likewise, there are Bank of England, Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Bank of Scotland notes - all the same sterling value - but it is better to get English sterling notes in your change before leaving N.Ireland and Scotland.

England and Scotland..pounds(although Scotland has it's own currency per se,but you can use £'s(they just print their own,but all in all it is the same).If you are in Northern Ireland..pounds,but the rest of Ireland it will be Euro's as well as Paris. Here is a link that will help you with currency conversion...Currency Converter

Scotland definitely does not have it's own currency (trust me on this one - I've been a Banker for 30 years and lived in Edinburgh all my life) Scotland is part of the UK and our currency is pounds sterling. That is the only legal tender in Scotland. Where people (including Brits) get confused is that 3 Scottish banks (Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank) historically issued promissary notes which people came to accept as being as good as gold way back before the Union of Scotland and England in the early 1700s. When the Union happened and the Scottish parliament was dissolved, the banks reteined their right (fiduciary right) to continue to issue their own bank notes. So we still do to this day These notes are in pounds. Theya re widely accepted throughout the UK as though they were Bank of England notes. Don't take them overseas with you though as they are not legal currency (unless you want one for a souvenir). That said, resorts in Europe that are used to having Scots visit will alos accept them. Northern ireland has the same thing, with the Allied Irish Bank and Northern bank also issuing their own notes which are also in sterling.

The isle of man and Channel islands also issue their own bank notes too also in pounds sterling but not promissary notes by a commercial bank but issued by the islands themselves.

OK here endeth the lecture on bank notes and their history in the UK!

Scotland definitely does not have it's own currency (trust me on this one - I've been a Banker for 30 years and lived in Edinburgh all my life) Scotland is part of the UK and our currency is pounds sterling. That is the only legal tender in Scotland. Where people (including Brits) get confused is that 3 Scottish banks (Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank) historically issued promissary notes which people came to accept as being as good as gold way back before the Union of Scotland and England in the early 1700s. When the Union happened and the Scottish parliament was dissolved, the banks reteined their right (fiduciary right) to continue to issue their own bank notes. So we still do to this day These notes are in pounds. Theya re widely accepted throughout the UK as though they were Bank of England notes. Don't take them overseas with you though as they are not legal currency (unless you want one for a souvenir). That said, resorts in Europe that are used to having Scots visit will alos accept them. Northern ireland has the same thing, with the Allied Irish Bank and Northern bank also issuing their own notes which are also in sterling.

The isle of man and Channel islands also issue their own bank notes too also in pounds sterling but not promissary notes by a commercial bank but issued by the islands themselves.

OK here endeth the lecture on bank notes and their history in the UK!

My bad..that is why I said "per se" re Scotland having their own currency w/o explaining the fact it IS all the same just printed by their own banks..I found sometimes when I was in Edinburgh that when I got back to London I had a hard time using the bank notes I got their and had to exchange them at a bank.Granted this was quite a while ago,but when someone asks now I just add what I said in my original post.I will not do so again as I am sure times have changed.

My bad..that is why I said "per se" re Scotland having their own currency w/o explaining the fact it IS all the same just printed by their own banks..I found sometimes when I was in Edinburgh that when I got back to London I had a hard time using the bank notes I got their and had to exchange them at a bank.Granted this was quite a while ago,but when someone asks now I just add what I said in my original post.I will not do so again as I am sure times have changed.

They've not changed that much - there are still plenty of places in England that will be very hesitant to accept Scottish notes, so always best to spend or exchange them before you leave.

You will find that the places reluctant to accept the Scottish or Ulster notes in England are the smaller retailers. Those who refuse them are in fact acting illegally. However if you have any problems the banks and building societies will exchange them.

"Those who refuse them are in fact acting illegally. However if you have any problems the banks and building societies will exchange them."

We've a better way off sorting them out lol

I must say i love educating some English folk when i'm over on trips lol

jj.......

I am a Belfast boy living in England. My relatives sometimes send me money (Christmas & Birthdays). I often have to educate the retailers. The look on some of their faces is priceless:D

Euro notes in Ireland will have a different design to those issued in other EU (European Union) states, but they are acceptable in any country that uses the Euro currency.

All Euro notes are identical through the Eurozone. It's the coins which are different. Each Euro country is allowed to mint their own coins with the Euro amount on one side an a national symbol on the other. In Ireland it is the Irish Harp. The coins are valid in all Eurozone countries and as I look at the coins in my pocket I see some from Spain and some from Greece. But be assured that the notes are all identical.

Archived