considering solo cruising on Norwegian Jade

omelet

I planned with my parents to go on the 7-day Adriatic cruise on Norwegian Jade embarking on 2015-10-10 (everything has been paid in full as of last month). However, all of a sudden now Mom is hit with a bad case of shingles so Dad is telling me to cancel the cruise. Since I really don't want to waste the time and money I spent on planning for the trip (the time and money that I cannot get back), I'm seriously considering cruising alone. I live far (several time zones) away from my parents so it's not like I can help take care of Mom if I stay back. I also considered cruising with close friends or my partner instead but they will all be busy during that time (and I don't feel comfortable sharing stateroom with strangers).

Before I make a decision, I would like to hear opinions from others on the matter. Should cruising alone on Norwegian Jade (and some traveling alone in Venice before boarding the ship) be discouraged? Are there any other options I'm missing and should look into?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by omelet

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I know shingles hits everyone differently but isn't there a chance your mother will be feeling better by October? Since you have paid (and can't get your money back) why don't you wait awhile and see if she improves enough to travel.

I have not been on NCL but have spent over 150 days cruising solo and I highly recommend it. If Mom and Dad can't go, definitely consider going on your own (and have a great time).

A couple of other things to consider....

Did your parents get travel insurance? (You might get some money back.)

Some cruise lines (no idea if NCL does this) will give you a partial credit toward a future cruise if you have to cancel after final payment. If you don't have insurance, it is worth a call to NCL to see what they might be able to do.

Good advice from Scrapnana.

I recently sailed solo on the Jade in the Med and had a fabulous time. And Venice is a wonderful city and as safe as any other.

The Jade had a solo meetup each evening run by a member of the cruise director's staff. Great opportunity to meet fellow solos and make Dinner or Excursion plans, if desired.

Assuming Mom is in good hands, I encourage you to go for it!

Edited by JoePatNYCT

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I know shingles hits everyone differently but isn't there a chance your mother will be feeling better by October? Since you have paid (and can't get your money back) why don't you wait awhile and see if she improves enough to travel.

I have not been on NCL but have spent over 150 days cruising solo and I highly recommend it. If Mom and Dad can't go, definitely consider going on your own (and have a great time).

A couple of other things to consider....

Did your parents get travel insurance? (You might get some money back.)

Some cruise lines (no idea if NCL does this) will give you a partial credit toward a future cruise if you have to cancel after final payment. If you don't have insurance, it is worth a call to NCL to see what they might be able to do.

Thanks Scrapnana.

Unfortunately, my parents did not get travel insurance, and the travel insurance provided by my credit card (which I used to pay for the cruise) on unforeseen medical complications applies to (other than the cardholder) only the spouse and dependent children of the cardholder.

Mom was diagnosed late and has not been responding well to medications, so the doctor is expecting a slow recovery and recommends a stress-free environment during/after recovery. NCL will refund 50% of the cost of the cruise if I make the cancellation before 2015-09-10. I will check with Mom again on that date before making a decision. Yes, the best-case scenario is that she will feel a lot better and get doctor's approval by then.

Good advice from Scrapnana.

I recently sailed solo on the Jade in the Med and had a fabulous time. And Venice is a wonderful city and as safe as any other.

The Jade had a solo meetup each evening run by a member of the cruise director's staff. Great opportunity to meet fellow solos and make Dinner or Excursion plans, if desired.

Assuming Mom is in good hands, I encourage you to go for it!

Thanks JoePatNYCT.

I'm definitely leaning towards traveling alone (over cancelling the trip) if my parents cannot accompany me. Does the solo meetup require some kind of notification/registration beforehand or do people just show up?

Edited by omelet

Thanks JoePatNYCT.

I'm definitely leaning towards traveling alone (over cancelling the trip) if my parents cannot accompany me. Does the solo meetup require some kind of notification/registration beforehand or do people just show up?

No registration. The time will be posted in the daily program-- usually around 6 or 7. Show up whatever evenings you want.

Edited by JoePatNYCT

I have travelled solo three times on the Jade in Europe.

Just a word of warning, I have seen and heard a lot of times that the solo meet ups are not attended at all. Many solo travelers, me included, prefer to not do these organized meet ups. IMHO the best place to have some great conversations with solo and not solo travelers is at the bar.

No registration. The time will be posted in the daily program-- usually around 6 or 7. Show up whatever evenings you want.

I have travelled solo three times on the Jade in Europe.

Just a word of warning, I have seen and heard a lot of times that the solo meet ups are not attended at all. Many solo travelers, me included, prefer to not do these organized meet ups. IMHO the best place to have some great conversations with solo and not solo travelers is at the bar.

Thanks JoePatNYCT, Thanks micm,

I've also been checking out other posts about advices on meetups. I think I'll likely attend the meetup first or second evening and definitely check out the bar.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!!! my hubby got the shingles on 8/11 and today is 9/15 and he is still in severe pain. We went to the doctor immediately, however, the medication is not working. Now we are 3 weeks from the cruise and still don't know if he is going. I might be going solo myself too.

NCL is great as far a solo travelers go. Sailed about 6 times solo with them and had a great time. I would go if I were you.

Hope your Mom feels better soon. I had shingles on my face and in the eye and I wouldn't wish that on anyone!! Even after it cleared, the residual nerve damage lasted for quite some time. Not fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow!!! my hubby got the shingles on 8/11 and today is 9/15 and he is still in severe pain. We went to the doctor immediately, however, the medication is not working. Now we are 3 weeks from the cruise and still don't know if he is going. I might be going solo myself too.

Hope your husband gets better soon. My mom is still in pain as well after more than a month now, maybe because she did not take the medication soon enough. I never cancelled the cruise as I have decided to travel alone if my parents choose not to join me (2 weeks from now).

Edited by omelet

NCL is great as far a solo travelers go. Sailed about 6 times solo with them and had a great time. I would go if I were you.

Hope your Mom feels better soon. I had shingles on my face and in the eye and I wouldn't wish that on anyone!! Even after it cleared, the residual nerve damage lasted for quite some time. Not fun.

Thanks KARTI1955, I hope so too. She is currently suffering from Ramsay Hunt syndrome, so she has trouble keeping her right eye closed and her mouth is slanted to the right when she talks or eats. She worries that she might never recover from the nerve damage. I hope that she eventually decides to take the cruise (2 more weeks to go) but I don't want to pressure her.

Edited by omelet