Lunch Spot: Non touristy

eparks123

Ocho Rios or Montego Bay?

In either city, you can go to the Tastee Patty or Juice Beef Patty store..they are the "patty chains". Underneath the Reggae Bar on the HIp Strip in Montego Bay is a local place..walk up service..haven't eaten there but it does draw a crowd.

Best Local place in Montego Bay is the Pork Pit on the "hip strip" drag (close to the craft market..not the one downtown). Great chicken, rice and peas, bammy, and pork is quite good. Get a roasted Jamaican sweet potato.Don't ask for butter. Not the Jamaican way and they'll look at you with a question mark look..LOL...Just "above" the craft market on the hill is a delightful restaurant owned by a man and his wife, I eat breakfast there a lot when I am in town. The other places I could recommend are right downtown Montego Bay but if you are not familiar with the area it could be a little daunting. Most taxi drivers can tell you about their favorite local place too.

In Ocho Rios there is a Juicy Patty store downtown..Island Grill is somewhat Jamaican fast food but the chicken is quite good, and they have bammy, rice and peas, etc. Therei s also one near the KFC in Montego Bay not too far from the port.

I love "Gizzada" cookies..they are like a brown sugar ginger cookie..yum..and try to get a piece of real Jamaican rum cake when you are in town. Some places serve a wonderful carrot juice..made with carrot juice, beets,and sweet milk. Soursop is a great fruit drink,too, but only if you can get it homemade...or Sorrell.

I m looking for a non touristy local type restaurant or even cafe/deli type of place where we can get meat pasties and other specialties during a day excursion. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks so much! We will be in Montego Bay. I saw your previous suggestion about the Pork Pit on another thread and I will put it on my list of places to try! I also want to try those cookies- they sound AMAZING!

Thank you!

Not too far from the port, in "downtown proper" there is the Butterflake Bakery..they have lovely treats there as well.

If you go the craft market near the Pork Pit, ask for Annette...her shop is in the back...she's a lovely friend and works hard to support her family!

I am so glad you have an open mind about the country...so many people don't!

Thanks so much! We will be in Montego Bay. I saw your previous suggestion about the Pork Pit on another thread and I will put it on my list of places to try! I also want to try those cookies- they sound AMAZING!

Thank you!

Edited by Gathina

We've done that before and found some great places that tourists NEVER would dare go to. You have to have an open mind!

get in a taxi and offer him $5 to take you to THEIR fav' jerk place

and another $5 to wait 'til you R done!

When are you going? I'll be in Mo'Bay again the weekend of Feb. 4 and will make a special note about some other places, if you like. I generally go once a month to every six weeks or so.

Now..if you REALLY wanted an excusrion, you could hire a driver to take you to Black River Junction for pepper shrimp and jerk chicken..you'd see the beautiful country side and mountains and could sample real, authentic Jamaican cuisine.

Thanks for all of the adivse. I cannot imagine going to a place like this and spending my time in a touristy chain. Cant wait for the good food at the local spots :)

You are wise ObeeWan .... exclude the chain and seek the local.

BTW Jerk does not have to be HOT .... but jerk IS the local 'thing' ... or a meat pie ... but you have to watch out for the vendors that got their meat pies from WalMart .....

no, I'm NOT kidding

I have to laugh at this because in Runaway Bay there is a guy that has a little souveier shop set up and the sign says "Welcome to Ziggy's Walmart"

Keep in mind too that most jerk vendors will also offer a side of sauce to put on it.. mild or hot..every vendor has their own spices they mix with the jerk seasoning to rub the chicken with...but the real key to jerk chicken is making it's cooked over pimento wood.

You would love Black River junction..food vendors galore..during my June trip a friend drove us over there and we had pepper shrimp, goathead soup, fried bammy and coconut water..my kinda meal!

You are wise ObeeWan .... exclude the chain and seek the local.

BTW Jerk does not have to be HOT .... but jerk IS the local 'thing' ... or a meat pie ... but you have to watch out for the vendors that got their meat pies from WalMart .....

no, I'm NOT kidding

• 4 years later...

Thanks for all the info! I love to go where the locals go--you know it's good food then! Why even visit places without really seeing the culture and the people with an open mind. Some of the threads on here have just disgusted me about the "bad reviews" of the area. I enjoyed my first trip there and can't wait to go back in a few days. I think we'll be trying out the Pork Pit!

Not too far from the port, in "downtown proper" there is the Butterflake Bakery..they have lovely treats there as well.

If you go the craft market near the Pork Pit, ask for Annette...her shop is in the back...she's a lovely friend and works hard to support her family!

I am so glad you have an open mind about the country...so many people don't!

I've only been to the area once so I really don't know my way around. The last time we were there with Carnival we used the Hop on Hop off shuttle. I am curious to find this "Butterflake Bakery" you speak of. We are planning on going to the Hip Strip area and the Craft Market--is it anywhere near there? (I'm not sure where "downtown proper" is-thanks in advance!!)