Enchanted Gardens/ Turtle River Falls & Gardens - why no reviews?

Birdnutty

We were stopping in Ocho Rios Jamaica, and I was looking for someplace to go that would be safe, uncrowded and still indicative of a beautiful tropical island. I've had enough experience with Jamaica, both my own and hearing that of others , that I didn't want to go outside the gates. But I just couldn't fathom the idea of staying on the boat. I wanted to avoid some of the crazy spots (like all of them). One perk from our TA was a credit with shore excursions group dot com, so I went perusing their offerings and came up with this fabulous sounding place.

I don't know why I couldn't find any reviews on this little gem, but I' m glad I found it. It combines jungle/gardens with falls viewing, an aviary and falls swimming/climbing. Sounded ideal, so we went with it.

We were picked up at the ship, inside the gates where the taxis are, and driven about 10 minutes away to a beautiful tropical garden/aviary/waterfall site. The Turtle River that flows through it is a smaller version of Dunn's River and its falls, but has all the same characteristics, including the

swimming possibilities but with nobody else around. We were taken on a 70 minute (about) tour by Jordan, a very knowledgeable young man who knew all his flora and fauna very well, shown each of 8 beautiful waterfalls, a photographer followed us around and took pictures of us as well as the property as we went.

After the walk up a slight incline ( with well maintained concrete shallow steps) to the uppermost falls, we came down and went to their aviary where we interacted with the dozen or so tropical parrots and macaw. Our guide whistled as he approached, all the birds clustered at the entrance. He gave us food to hold, put some on our hats and the birds climbed on our arms, our heads, hands, etc. gorgeous birds. All the while, the photographer was snapping pictures and so were we, all on our own cameras. We must have in that aviary for a half hour, playing with the birds. In our past experiences, we were lucky if we got 5 minutes before the guides would be rushing us out to the next stop. This was the last stop, and we were then given about a half hour to go into the river,

climb falls and splash about in the cool pools of sparkling mountain river water. Our only complaint was that the description of the tour said we would have about an hour afterwards for our own exploration, but we were only given 30 minutes (too long in the aviary maybe??) We would have liked more time to spend In the water, as it was so refreshing on a hot humid day. We could only go the first falls, as it was the closest. It would've been fun to investigate the others.

On the large property is also a pretty pool with a swim- up bar (which wasn't operating when we were there, not that we had time anyway). Our van driver was waiting for us when we were done, and drove us back to the ship, or would drop us off to go shopping

downtown if we wished.

The whole property was very well maintained, compared to some of the other island properties I've experienced. The walkways were wide and new, steps were not steep. It was an easy walk. Not wheelchair accessible, however. Bathrooms were clean. All of the falls we viewed had platforms that appeared to be recently built and in excellent shape. And there was nobody there except us and the staff. We felt very safe and protected, there were no people hawking their wares, and no other tourists to trip over on the trails or in the water. It was ideal, and a great way to see the beauty of Jamaica. Highly recommended!!

I don't understand why it's not more advertised, but as I said, I found it on the one marketing group mentioned in my review. I'll add a few pics

Edited by Birdnutty
additions

We went there in August of 2013 (land based vacation). It is a very beautiful place. The walk up the stairs wasn't too bad for my 83 year old mother in law. It is fun to watch the koi eat in their pond. The aviary is spectacular. Our guide was a lot of fun too.

A few upgrades (bar, restaurant, pool) and this would be an even better place.

We were stopping in Ocho Rios Jamaica, and I was looking for someplace to go that would be safe, uncrowded and still indicative of a beautiful tropical island. I've had enough experience with Jamaica, both my own and hearing that of others , that I didn't want to go outside the gates. But I just couldn't fathom the idea of staying on the boat. I wanted to avoid some of the crazy spots (like all of them).

Having never been to Jamaica. We want to get off the ship but not do the huge tourists areas and most importantly be SAFE. Yes, I know everyone says to do Dunn River's Fall but as a family we have decided against doing that and are looking into doing something else. We have also decided against doing any Resort a Day passes. Just way too high for us and with how little of time you get to be at the resort. Plus having kids this cuts down on the number of resorts we can even do to. I think we may actually stay on the ship if we don't do this excursion but I have some questions I am hoping you might be able to answer.

We are coming in to Ocho Rios. I checked the website that you purchased this excursion from and this was the same website that I was looking at this excursion at.

I did notice that in the description that they will drop you off downtown for shopping or back to the ship. Which did you do....go shopping or just go back to the ship?

Would you of had time to go shopping after this excursion or was it cutting it close to the departure time when you were done?

Honestly, I'm a bit nervous not doing some kind of guided excursion cause of people having bad experiences on their own and the shady and/or pushing sellers. I'm going way out of my comfort area going on this cruise with my kiddos. I'm an over protective momma bear but my husband is 6'5'' and 250lbs so he says he'll chase anyone away that might causes us problems. We do wanna do some shopping. I have friends that want coffee and rum!

Thanks for any helpful bits you can toss my way in advance!!!

Edited by darkprayer
I suck at typing!

We opted to get dropped off at the ship. None of us really wanted to go shopping. We had plenty of time, no rushing at all. There were some vendors within the gates selling their wares, but I don't recall seeing coffee. Didn't look that hard though. There was a liquor store immediately outside the gates that we did go to.

You can ask your driver(ours was named Sean) where a good place to get coffee is, or if there's a better or cheaper liquor store he could take you to. If he knows you just want to pick up something quickly, he might be persuaded (via a tip) to wait for you and return you to the ship. Don't know, and it also has something to do with who else might be on your same excursion.

We felt very safe on this excursion. I too was one of those that considered not getting off the ship. But it was worth it.

If you go, please let me know how it works out,

If you go, please let me know how it works out,

Thanks for all your time and answering my questions. I'll let you know for sure if we go. We still have like 130 some days to decide but this is at the top the list so far.

I found this place on trip advisor. Great reviews. We are Docking in Falmouth, so it will be about 45 min drive. We scheduled a private tour based on recommendation on these boards.

I am very comfortable on private tours and going outside the gates.

People said the same thing about Belize. So glad we didn't listen. Had a wonderful private tour. Just look for recommendations here on CC

• 3 weeks later...
I found this place on trip advisor. Great reviews. We are Docking in Falmouth, so it will be about 45 min drive. We scheduled a private tour based on recommendation on these boards.

I am very comfortable on private tours and going outside the gates.

People said the same thing about Belize. So glad we didn't listen. Had a wonderful private tour. Just look for recommendations here on CC

May I ask who you booked with for a private tour??

We had a private tour to enchanted gardens/turtle river falls. Since the on site guide takes over once there I would choose the tour guide based on recommendations for their narration on the way there. We loved the gardens tour with our guide Jordan, but were disappointed with our driver. I booked with Noel who had recommendations on CC but instead his wife drove us as he had booked another tour. She was super nice but she did not tell us anything about Jamaica. It was a silent 45 min drive there and we only received answers when we asked a question. The waterfalls were very nice. You can sit under them, climb them, etc. they are not as powerful as Dunn 's River so perfect for kids and less physically fit people such as myself. The birds feeding was nice too as they sit on your hand and head. Great photo op.

There were stairs to climb but it was doable. We basically had the place to ourself, so when you get there you wonder if you made a bad decision going there but if you hate crowds and can't handle Dunn's River this is a great choice. And best of all, a photographer follows you around, goes up the falls with you and takes tons of pictures. Same with the birds. I thought they were going to charge a lot of money and it was only $20 for all the pictures on a DVD!!! If you go, say hi to Guide Jordan and photographer Nikki from Nikki & granddaughter Kyndall and Miami Dolphins fan Doug!

We had a private tour to enchanted gardens/turtle river falls. Since the on site guide takes over once there I would choose the tour guide based on recommendations for their narration on the way there. We loved the gardens tour with our guide Jordan, but were disappointed with our driver. I booked with Noel who had recommendations on CC but instead his wife drove us as he had booked another tour. She was super nice but she did not tell us anything about Jamaica. It was a silent 45 min drive there and we only received answers when we asked a question.

You mention a 45 minute drive. Did you go from Falmouth? We went from the dock in Ocho Rios and it was about a 10 minute drive, less on the return trip. Once we returned, we could see the aviary from the ship. On a trip that long, one would expect a bit more of an explanation as to what you're seeing. That's disappointing. You might want to send him a little review and give him a heads up that if she's going to be a driver, she should have a little spiel prepared.

Jordan is employed by the Gardens, and is not related to the tour company. He is quite something, isn't he? We enjoyed him a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
The admission fee is $20. I can't wait to visit this place on December 3rd!

Mcgore - are you going on your own, no tour? how do you get there?

we are interested, but we have a 2 year old so don't realy want to do a formal tour.

do they have a website??